Oh No, did I just mess up my turbo?

Blew a manifold gasket last week, ran until Friday evening, tore it apart this weekend got it back together and running, was letting it idle and checking injectors for leaks and heard a quick "clunk" almost sounded like something went through the engine! I test drove it and when under hard boost turbo makes a little bit of a squeel , so now I'm starting to wonder if something fell into the manifold I didn't know about and went through the turbo. I wonder if so how long will it hold together? I don't see how a bolt or tap could have gotten in there without me knowing, of course I was in a hurry trying to get it back together.

I pulled the turbo and looked at both impellers and they look fine to me, can't feel any play in bearings, I drove it today and now it's getting hot while under load, seem to building same amount of boost though?

Don't know if you had a nut or something go through. I dropped a valve seat last summer and munched it up and pieces got hung-up in the turbo for few hundred miles. Had to run it 2000 miles home with a bad cylinder and a hurt turbo. What happens is just as you said seems to run fine but pyro and engine temp go up under load more than normal and you will get almost full boost. You have to look into the turbine side, way in, to see if the ends of the turbine are chewed up. Other than that it looks and fells free and normal. Intake side of turbo damage would not heat things up as does the exhaust side.

I'll go look at it harder after I get my boy to bed, it takes a while to get hot, but also very slow to cool down, even after pulled over and letting sit at a fast idle, I know my rads about junk too, just kinda puzzling, wouldn't think a slightly damaged turbo would cause it to overheat.

Look close at the manifold gaskets for a boost leak, that will cause the squeal, lean condition will also cause temps to go high.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE