Rip Van Winkle Awakens

After numerous failed attempts, today I was able to get enough new, clean fuel through the system and got my B67 to run.

This after a twenty something year spell of sitting.

I had already checked the oil sump for water - none, and topped up the radiator with anti-freeze - no leaks. I had cleaned and oiled the foot throttle and checked the shut-off operation - all OK.

Sounds healthy, no knocks or unusual noise. The injection pump is probably fouled as I have almost no throttle response, but at least I know it runs and doesn't have any leaks or any apparent cracks in the big parts.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a shop to take the fuel pump and injectors for testing and rebuilding and/or replacement? :SMOKIE-LFT:

Thanks,

Paul VS

thats what I like to hear, another truck saved from rusting away. What part of the country are you from? I take all of my pumps and injectors to Joliff diesel here in southern Indiana. He is real good. He always like to see the old pumps thats on the 711 and 673. they are so big he has to walk in to one and look around, maybe take a chair along incase he gets tired, or so he told me with a big chuckle.

good luck

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

thats what I like to hear, another truck saved from rusting away. What part of the country are you from? I take all of my pumps and injectors to Joliff diesel here in southern Indiana. He is real good. He always like to see the old pumps thats on the 711 and 673. they are so big he has to walk in to one and look around, maybe take a chair along incase he gets tired, or so he told me with a big chuckle.

good luck

Fred

Thanks Fred, I am in upstate New York (Rochester area), and I could send the pump and injectors out to anywhere, if you thought that it was worth it.

This is a nice old truck - almost no rust at all, in fact, it still has original green paint on the floorboards.

Thanks again,

Paul Van Scott

Hi,

I am always willing to help out any Mack fan. Is your truck a 673 or a 711? I have a couple of extra pumps and injectors around I could have them rebuilt and sent your way or you could send yours to me and I could drive them down to the guy and have him fix them, or I could get his number and give it to you. I dosent matter to me. Just let me know if I can help you out. Do you have a camera?? We would like to see some photos of your truck. before and after shots are always cool. here lately all my photos are of the before veriety. ha ha. somehow I started with one truck and within a year I now have 7... what happened? I get anymore I will have to get a kennel permit ... ( yea thats a bad joke but were all friends here) :SMOKIE-LFT:

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

"This is a nice old truck - almost no rust at all, in fact, it still has original green paint on the floorboards."

What climate controlled museum did you dig this out from...LOL!!!

Sounds like a really great find. I'm hoping you get some pictures up soon.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

After numerous failed attempts, today I was able to get enough new, clean fuel through the system and got my B67 to run.

This after a twenty something year spell of sitting.

I had already checked the oil sump for water - none, and topped up the radiator with anti-freeze - no leaks. I had cleaned and oiled the foot throttle and checked the shut-off operation - all OK.

Sounds healthy, no knocks or unusual noise. The injection pump is probably fouled as I have almost no throttle response, but at least I know it runs and doesn't have any leaks or any apparent cracks in the big parts.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a shop to take the fuel pump and injectors for testing and rebuilding and/or replacement? :SMOKIE-LFT:

Thanks,

Paul VS

Paul,

Glad to hear you got a fire built in the old gal. Been wondering how you were doing since phone call. Sounds like still some problems in fuel system. Try adding pressure gauge where fuel goes in pump to check transfer pump psi. Then, open throttle (while running, of course). If rpm picks up any, fuel psi should increase. Referance - my old wrecker will show about 20 psi in hard pull at 1500 rpm. Another possibabilty - governor problems could be limiting rack travel. Pull the big acron nut that covers rack on front of pump, start engine, try pulling rack forward to see if rpms raise. Holler back, interested in hearing more.

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Paul,

Glad to hear you got a fire built in the old gal. Been wondering how you were doing since phone call. Sounds like still some problems in fuel system. Try adding pressure gauge where fuel goes in pump to check transfer pump psi. Then, open throttle (while running, of course). If rpm picks up any, fuel psi should increase. Referance - my old wrecker will show about 20 psi in hard pull at 1500 rpm. Another possibabilty - governor problems could be limiting rack travel. Pull the big acron nut that covers rack on front of pump, start engine, try pulling rack forward to see if rpms raise. Holler back, interested in hearing more.

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Thanks everybody - it will be a few weeks before I am able to get back to the B67 - Work keeps getting in the way.

Fred - I got your phone # and I will call about the pump, and maybe trading it. By the way, this is a END673N.

Tom - I've been afraid to take off that acorn nut - I have no clue what's inside that pump - but I'm thinking you're onto something and I will try it. If it all comes apart in my hand - I'll bring it out to you!

Pictures will taken soon - before the old girl heads into the shop.

Thanks Again,

Paul VS