allison 740 trouble . 96 MR688s. converter locked up

macattack

hi guys.  this is on a 96 mr 688s refuse truck.

this is freaking me out.  got a ht740 allison 4 speed automatic.  has air mod valve and air operated throttle.

past week my trans temp gauge and speedometer gauge were jumping around in unison.  usually in neutral, but occasionally at road speeds.

anyways last week my gauges acted up again and the truck lost reverse and if i put it in drive the truck dies.

changed out the air mod valve, but still no reverse.

a couple times it went into reverse, the reverse lites came on my back up alarm worked and then when i tried again in wont go into reverse and no lites or alarm..

gonna replace the tcm.  i was told there is a solenoid pneumatic that maybe my problem  

any ideas.  thanks

got a new tcm for it.  damn kind of a bitch to get at on these units.  anyways got it out and the tcm looks pretty rough.  hope the new tcm  fixes it.

got to wait till monday to get the proper connectors.

anybody have wiring schematics for a 96 mr?

thanks

I believe there's a ground breaker under a black plastic cover mounted to the air cleaner housin bracket, this is all the ground to the cab. You might add cab to engine, cad to frame grounds. Worked on very few MR's as all the refuse companies and city owned MR/LE had their own shop's thank god! Lol. I looked for any diagrams that included the Allison and only had what I sent you the other day. We only have 1 old sheet on the VMAC 2 wiring . 

On 2/6/2017 at 8:40 AM, Mackpro said:

I believe there's a ground breaker under a black plastic cover mounted to the air cleaner housin bracket, this is all the ground to the cab. You might add cab to engine, cad to frame grounds. Worked on very few MR's as all the refuse companies and city owned MR/LE had their own shop's thank god! Lol. I looked for any diagrams that included the Allison and only had what I sent you the other day. We only have 1 old sheet on the VMAC 2 wiring . 

would this breaker box be approx 3x4 inch.  one wire on one side and 4 on the other. i found this under the center dash.  

maybe it is something else.

• 2 months later...

thanks j hancock.

took me a while, but got it figured out.  came close to replacing the trans.  what a relief.

so after a couple filters, relays, and a shitload of testing also a tcm ended up being that governor.

took 30 mins to change.