Mack 18,000lb steer axle top kingpin cap

hdfx81

One of the top kingpin caps was missing on my 87 superliner went to mack and was told mack changed the style of the caps, the one they gave me looks like a freeze plug(just a disk with a slight curve). I put in on and when I grease the kingpin the it pushes out the cap. I found the original type and was wondering if there is a certin way to install it. I will take some pics later and post them.

One of the top kingpin caps was missing on my 87 superliner went to mack and was told mack changed the style of the caps, the one they gave me looks like a freeze plug(just a disk with a slight curve). I put in on and when I grease the kingpin the it pushes out the cap. I found the original type and was wondering if there is a certin way to install it. I will take some pics later and post them.

The heavy welch plug you spoke of (like a frost plug) was actually the original style. They could only be installed properly with the steering knuckle off the axle. They had to be installed with a special tool which consisted of a driver and an anvil.

You would put the welch plug into the bore with the concave down, rest the knuckle upside down on the anvil and drive the plug down with the driver. It would set the plug in the bore about an 1/8" down from the top. On top of all this you couldn't buy the tool you had to have it made!

This was a bad design, in my opinion, and were always a problem with them coming lose.

The later ones looked like an inverted top hat with ridges on the part that goes down in the pin bushing bore. They were made to be driven in from the top.

They also have a screw in plug that goes into the cap. The plug was to be removed so you could install a pusher bolt in the hole to remove the plug when it was time to service the pins.

These were better but as was already said tack weld them in.

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...