Hello and looking for a bit of info

dave41855

If they weren't rated at the rear wheels, I suspect a lot of Mack engines were underrated. For example, the 11 liter 285 HP Maxidynes we had at the Postal Service gained 4 valve heads and grew to 12 liters, yet the HP rating only increased to 300? Even in high gear hill pulling where the Allison automatic was no advantage, those trucks would pull with Cummins and other 350s with similar loads. We also had some Volvo/Whites with the supposedly equal 300 HP L10 Cummins, and the 300 Macks would run away from them.

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

If they weren't rated at the rear wheels, I suspect a lot of Mack engines were underrated. For example, the 11 liter 285 HP Maxidynes we had at the Postal Service gained 4 valve heads and grew to 12 liters, yet the HP rating only increased to 300? Even in high gear hill pulling where the Allison automatic was no advantage, those trucks would pull with Cummins and other 350s with similar loads. We also had some Volvo/Whites with the supposedly equal 300 HP L10 Cummins, and the 300 Macks would run away from them.

I agree Teamstergrrrl!! Over in Lancaster NH was a Mack dealer (still is I guess). One of the "ole boys" who worked there (an absolute wizard when it came to Macks) always claimed the HP was always rated at the rear wheels. I still agree. I could gross 89,000 to 90,000 with helmock for Glens Falls NY. Those of us who hauled there had several different brands of trucks. Macks, two KW's and 2 Autocars. My Mack had a 300+ with a Fuller 13 over. It had been custom ordered by another logger for heavy duty work. Steel double frame, 44 camelback rears and a 20 front. I pulled an old HEAVY BWS 9 tier solid floor trailer with it. Tare weight was close to 39,000!! Climbing Mendon Mountain loaded side by each with either of the KW's, they both had 350 Cummins with Fullers also. I could outpull both going up the hill but they sure could outdo me going down the other side. They had Jakes and I had a Dynatard. Ya I know, with Dynatards you could do more dragging your feet on the road than the Dynatard did, except make noise. I've driven several other trucks in my days but the R686ST always held a special spot in my heart. I miss my truck a lot and wished I still had it, but the GOOD thing is, it's still going strong almost daily and I get to see it usually once a week if not more. It also now has a companion. He kept saying my old "Log Dog" was lonely so he bought a "Dirt Dog" to keep it company! It's a "well broken in" Superliner dump! Photos of my old one and his new one are attached!

Dave

1988 MACK RW700L SUPERLINER-1.jpg

The R600 and RW700.jpg

1979 MACK R600-1A.jpg

1979 MACK R600-6.jpg