Speedo issue

Walt1967

Maybe someone can help.i have a 91 superliner w/13 speed Eaton  fuller.i replaced speedo cable it was broke ,speedometer still don't work.to test if cable is working can't you drive truck with cable disconnected from speedo and see if it's turning. Can the piece connected to trans be bad? I also replaced plastic tip that goes in trans.i can turn it from inside truck w/hand so I know it's free.

6 hours ago, Walt1967 said:

Maybe someone can help.i have a 91 superliner w/13 speed Eaton  fuller.i replaced speedo cable it was broke ,speedometer still don't work.to test if cable is working can't you drive truck with cable disconnected from speedo and see if it's turning. Can the piece connected to trans be bad? I also replaced plastic tip that goes in trans.i can turn it from inside truck w/hand so I know it's free.

If you can turn the cable from inside the truck there is the problem. You should not be able to turn the cable any more than maybe a quarter turn before it binds up. If it is tuning freely the cable tip going into the square drive in the trans is not engaged to the tip of the cable. If you just replaced the inner cable it maybe to short to the length of the outer, a 1/4-1/2 inch is all it has to be short and not work. I converted mine to a electronic setup along with the Tach drive and have not had cable problems sense. 

You can drive it without the speedo hooked up. Could be the speedo itself or the adapter on the teams I have had to do both before but if the cable turns with the speedo unhooked  it'll be the speedo if it don't turn check the adaptor on the tranny .