Big truck backup

BillyT

I know you guys are gearheads right? If you haven't heard about the truck an engineer named Lloyd Wolf designed,built and patented,it will blow your mind! During ww2 they needed powerful trucks to haul tanks and other military equip.diesel engines light enough for a motor truck weren't powerful enough before turbo and computer managed systems.wolf took an international cabover and chassis and put two gmc 6bangers (gas) side by side on a sliding framework.The main engine was a stick shift,the second engine was an automatic which kicked in when it was needed! Hooked them together with a chain or gears to a standard truck differential.The second engine idled when at highway speeds to save gas,much like today's hybrid cars. The whole framework,with engines,etc slid out the front for service.In 7 minutes! The whole deal can be googled,was in Hemmings in 2014.shows an early 50s "cornbinder" cabover.

• Thanks 1

The first big truck pickup I saw was at a t.s. show in s cal. In 89. Someone removed the cab from a late model F350 p.u.and replaced it with an early 70's KW conv. Cab. Left the Ford bed and fenders.looked factory.The blue B model looks even better.The modified B model rear fenders make the truck!

• 6 years later...

I remember  using 4 671 Detroit's on a mud pump on a drilling rig and one rig had 2 8v71 on the rig one Motor had electric starter and the other had a air starter the clutch was air  later when one motor failed it was changed  was changed out to one 12 V71 .  

• Like 1