E9 450 QUESTION

GOOG

What's involved in turning an E9 450 into a 500?  How high can you turn one up without excessive smoke or fuel consumption?  I found a Superliner with a 450, kind of got me thinking. - Tom

/  I

the I'm question I'm going to ask is why, I've got a 500 and I'm going to detune it to 450 ,torque for 450 is 1545 @1250 the 500 is 1603 @1350  a small increase for more fuel and stress on the engine ,I'm sure you fellas don't pull the same weight as what we do here in oz .to answer your question the pump and injectors are the same just the fuel setting is changed  the turbo for the 500 is 631gc5110 p2 the 450 is 631gc5110 .

Mine was putting out 600hp easy with stock parts. pulling a step deck i could average 5 1/2 to 6 depending on load,ounce pulled 10000 lb oversize load 9 1/2 wide that pulled like a 47000 lb load in a head wind, pulling dump trailer it was about 4 1/2.

only smoke was when pulling out and that can be adjusted with puff limiter

Edited by Back In Black Pulling

On 7/1/2016 at 2:05 PM, GOOG said:

What's involved in turning an E9 450 into a 500?  How high can you turn one up without excessive smoke or fuel consumption?  I found a Superliner with a 450, kind of got me thinking. - Tom

It does not matter how high it is turned up. The right foot and your brain control everything. The engine will make more smoke and power than you can every stand or use. Fuel consumption is a factor of your right foot. Go above 65mph and fuel use is on the rise just like any truck out there pass 80mph and your fuel milage sucks. A 450hp E9 will do 75-80 easy if geared right with 80k GVW but figure a mile or more loss per gallon.

I can say that at 450 or 500 HP E9 is a good reliable engine. If you know how to work on them it is not a problem turning up the HP but things are going to break. Maybe not the engine first but it will. Trans, driveshafts and rears are not rated at 2000 plus ft/lbs of torque for hours of use. Parts are pricy and not that easy to fine these days. Mine is really turned up and as of now and it is getting turned back down. You can't really run more than 500-600 hp on the road reliably. Turning up the RPM's is how you get power too but my T2018 does not like to shift above 2000rpm's and starts to make noise at 3000rpm's.

It matters what you want to do with it. Sled pulling is not an everyday thing and I can tell you that a truck set up for that will not make a good everyday machine. Mine is now a Retired sled puller.

• Like 1