pump packing

joes mack

what is the best way to remove pump packing on our 87 cf  with waterous  pump I have the removal tools but I cant get it to screw into the packing  good enough to pull it out  and the fact I have big hands don't help either. can you remove the pump shaft bearing on the front and gain easier access to the packing or will that be more trouble than trying to remove replace it with it still in place? I still have the drive shaft out of it for easier access to the packing.   thanks joe

EDIT: I had just asked if it was the ceramic packing or the rope packing....1987 makes it too old for the ceramic packing and you wouldn't be asking about screwing the tool into ceramic packing...LOL......not enough coffee yet this morning. 

How badly is it leaking? One thing many folks don't know or understand is that they are **supposed** to leak...helps with cooling the packing and maintains a seal throughout the entire packing assembly. People see a few drops of water and they lose their minds thinking their packing is pooping the bed. 

I have never done one, but I have heard some stories about guys having issues getting the screw tool to "take a bite and were told by a Hale guy to shove a golf tee or some wood splinters or something like that up in the hole and then stick  the screw tool up there, and should get it to bite. Then if it doesn't bite youll have to start yanking apart. 

Also, if you call Waterous with your pump S/N from the panel plate, ask them for a full set of build sheets, parts breakdowns and manuals....Just like the Mack museum, except no donation required. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

The "leak rate" should be a few drops per minute if I remember correctly. 

Usually the real indicator that they need to be re-packed is that they fail a pump test. If it is holding a vacuum, assuming everything else is tight, I would maybe tighten up the ring a little and let it go.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

the ring was tightened to the max and it is leaking pretty bad also. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the u joint going bad it was leaking so bad when pumping it would have water running out from under the truck.

Will it hold a vacuum? Just asking since I'm sure you guys draft on a regular basis. 

That much leakage would make me look around for something beyond the packing, especially if it will not hold a vacuum for more than a few seconds.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I got the old packing out of it and am cleaning everything up to put it back. the old packing is dried out bad and is only about half as thick as the new.it has 5 pieces in it and its only as thick as 3 of the new pieces like I said earlier the adjustments were run up as far as they could be and the chief of evarts fire dept said when they worked on it the last time they only put 2 new rings in it because they couldn't get the rest out of it. its been a pain in the ass getting it out but I have learned a easy way to get it out if I ever have to do it again. and I'm sure I will as one of the other trucks is leaking almost as bad as this one was. as for the vacuum test I know it has 1 bad valve I'm going to have to rebuild on the deck gun but I can cap it off to try the vacuum test.

you can take another truck or a good hydrant and push it out  it took about 100 psi to push the last 3 out of ours and waterous  says you can do it with the truck its self if you can engage the pump which I couldn't due to not having the drive shaft in it put the pump in volume if its a 2 stage pump and slowly build pressure (may take up to 300 psi ) to push the packing out.

• Like 1