fire truck transmission

what would cause our 87 CF with a Allison auto to jump and jerk in 1st gear when pulling out of the station or on a hill?  it only does it in 1st  gear it shifts fine and is smooth as silk in all other gears.   it started doing this all of the sudden last week. fliud level is right on the full mark. thanks  joe

I had the same condition, added a bottle of Lucas trans additive and it made the pull outs and shifts a lot smoother.   The vibration might be as simple as a dry U joint. I try cheap and simple first.

• Like 1

we have our weekly meeting in a couple of hours so I personally will climb under it and check the u joints (they were supposed to be greased 2 weeks ago ) if that don't help I will try and get some of the lucas and put in it and hope that does it.  thanks

thanks for the help on things to look for  I found the front u joint between the trans and transfer case is bad(  the pump packing leaking aint helping things as water is dripping  down on it ) so I will hopefully get it changed tomorrow thanks again for the ideas of things to look for I never thought about a u joint doing that but ive not seen everything either lol  thanks again joe

hellllllllllllllp  I have another question what is the easiest way to change the u joint on this damed thing on the transmission side it has the big 8 bolt flange and on the transfer case side it has a regular yoke and the driveshaft is only 7 inches long is it easier to take the rear u joint out too and put it back with just the crosses and then install the cups or would it be easier to loosen the transfer case and slide it back about 1/2 inch to get the clearance it needs  just to  put the front one in. I'm about to pull my hair out

I have not worked on a CF in Years but I think you need to remove the flange and also the cups from the rear joint. Sliding the transfer case aint gona happen as it's part of the pump casting and you would be moving the entire pump, plumbing and all.  

That's assuming it is Waterous or Hale, never seen anything else in a CF but I do not know it all.

I am going to have to get out my torches and cut the u joint out of the rear of the driveshaft we have beat and heated and beat some more on this thing and it will not move I am guessing that the cups are rusted in the yoke and will not move  so I guess she will get 2 new u joints and the pump re packed before I put her back in service.  I was going to wait on the pump re packing for a bit but it is leaking pretty good and the adjusting collars are run up as tight as they can be so I guess now is as good of a time as any to replace it  so be prepared to answer a few more questions on that as well. thank you all for your help  joe