Time for a clutch?

MACKS

1996 Mack cl,I cant get a good adjustment on my clutch,I tried to adjust the clutch brake first and than the free play and I end up with no clutch at all.it wont engage,fooled around with it till I finally got something,now I have free pedal but no clutch brake,If I depress the pedal halfway to the floor the clutch will disengage and the tranny will stop spinning so I can get it in gear and seems to work ok when I release it but if I push to pedal all the way to the floor the clutch will engage?why does it do that,is it just time for a new clutch or what could be wrong?

Providing  you surfaced the fly wheel and the inner hub is not hitting the bolt heads  on the crank! OR ( Clutch plates in bacKwards)

You need to check these first!!

This is how I Would proceed  

Set it in this order!   

1- set the clutch  brake  Make sure the release bearing touches the brake about 3/4 of an inch off  the floor !

2 - the set ring in or out to get 1/2 to 9/16 gap between the throw out bearing and the brake you should now have 1 1/2 free pedal

3- if your still having issues turn the engine till the clutch bolt pedestal is in the window of the bell cover there is a hole in the the middle take a punch 

or bolt of the correct size stick it in the hole and give it a tap with a hammer this will center the dowel pin on the intermediate plate see if this helps!

• Like 1

Ok just an update,I thought I knew how to adjust a clutch but no,now I do lol,what I was doing wrong was the way I was adjusting the free play,thought that was done with the internal adjuster,but now I know to adjust the brake first and then adjust the internal adjuster till you have 1/2 inch to 3/4 space in between the brake and throw out bearing,after that if your free pedal is correct your done if not you must adjust the clutch cable ends to get the free play,there it is now my clutch works perfect..