2004 AI-380-400??? Engine fluttering at 1300RPM

jmb4wd

Hey guys.  Got this new to me 04 RD.

Valve cover said it's AI-380.   In a hard pull in 5 and 6 gear when motor starts building good boost (30lbs ish) at approximately 1300 rpm the engine flat out hesitates, stumbles and falls back to about 15lbs psi for about 200rpm then picks back up and goes to 30ish psi.  It's is very obvious that the engine is derating or something?  Any one with any knowledge on this problem?

Bryant Construction Inc.

06 KW T800 Dump

85 GMC General Dump

73 Dodge C800 Single Axle

Middle Tennessee ATHS

It sounds like it could be a programming flaw. There were a bunch of engines similar to what you have with the same symptoms. Have your local Mack dealership contact Mack Technical Support to see if there is a program/download for your engine for your issue. I've programmed too many chassis to count that had the exact same symptoms you describe. 

• Like 1

Does the Check engine light come on when this happens??

If not then and you have a mack 18 sp trans There is a switch  on the range cyl ( Or should be)( if not the wires will be there) that can cause the ECU To think the engine is in low  it will cut  the power in half if the wires  re rubbed together or broken they could be causing you greif!

Just another place to look

Had this happen!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Im almost positive its a programming flaw too.   Its pretty predicitable  and reoccuring.   I get no check engine lights so when I get a chance im gonna take it in and get her tuned up

Bryant Construction Inc.

06 KW T800 Dump

85 GMC General Dump

73 Dodge C800 Single Axle

Middle Tennessee ATHS

On 3/10/2016 at 8:22 AM, fjh said:

Does the Check engine light come on when this happens??

If not then and you have a mack 18 sp trans There is a switch  on the range cyl ( Or should be)( if not the wires will be there) that can cause the ECU To think the engine is in low  it will cut  the power in half if the wires  re rubbed together or broken they could be causing you greif!

Just another place to look

Had this happen!

Torque limiter.  I had that happen once,  years ago.  So much time was wasted finding the problem.