Steering Wheel Colors:

Anybody know when Mack started using different color steering wheels in the cabs? I've got a 72 R685 with a green wheel, a 73 RL797LST with a white steering wheel, a 77 R795 that has a brown steering wheel, and a 78 RL755LST with a black steering wheel. These are all factory Mack wheels.

Also, is there any way to discern when a cab was manufactured by numbers someplace?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Anybody know when Mack started using different color steering wheels in the cabs? I've got a 72 R685 with a green wheel, a 73 RL797LST with a white steering wheel, a 77 R795 that has a brown steering wheel, and a 78 RL755LST with a black steering wheel. These are all factory Mack wheels.

Also, is there any way to discern when a cab was manufactured by numbers someplace?

Thanks,

Rob

1.no

2.yes

( just my 2 cents...you're welcome :lol: )

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1.no

2.yes

Thank you for your valued input. The response will be evaluated through our quality assurance division, with a formal report issued as to the feasibility of implementation, and application of your supplied input.

I expect your response will meet, or exceed expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Best regards;

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thank you for your valued input. The response will be evaluated through our quality assurance division, with a formal report issued as to the feasibility of implementation, and application of your supplied input.

I expect your response will meet, or exceed expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Best regards;

Rob

I like it :thumb:

:chili::banana::chili:

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Rob,

We have a 1954 B 75 Fire truck, B75F1011 it has the black steering wheel, this was the first year for B model fire trucks, by 1955 they were using red steering wheels on the open cab models (as the interior of the cabs were all repainted from green to exterior color) so I think Mack started the changeover in 1955 as our truck was built in September of 1954 and delivered in December 1954.

I have seen pictures of the R model cabs coming into the factory- so since they were built in a different factory they must have a cab serial number or build number, on our truck the build number is stamped into all of the doors and misc parts on the pump body. I also know on Corvettes the bodies which were built at a different factory than the assembly shop and they have unique number and trim tag, so I think Mack would have needed something similar to track the cabs to the build or job number like they did on the pump body on our truck.

I also noted our serial number is B75F1011 but the stamped build number on the parts is B75F0009 and matched the order number on the build sheet. I also have the factory job listings for each truck and some of orders were duplicated so some of the the trucks have the same build number but different serial numbers.

Maybe 3P can impart some specific wisdom on how the factory tracks the cab to match to the order.

P.S. If you ever get that V8 in the long nose R model and your wife decides you have too many trucks, you can donate it to the fire company so we can use it to pull our B model! I see it is already red so will fit right in to our fleet!

Firemack

1.no

2.yes

It is with great regret to inform that the input submitted by you has been deemed unusable by the quality assurance division of our company.

It is with heartfelt "Thanks" that my conveyance of gratitude is expressed for your submission. The effort is "very much" appreciated.

We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Best regards;

Rob