High SWR on my CB

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here we go. I recently installed a cobra 29lx and have really high SWR readings. My set up is cobra 29lx with 18' coax going to a 3' adjustable tip firestik. I have tried grounding the mount to the cab and frame no change. I bought a no ground plane set up and still no change. I am using an astatic SWR meter and I can't get them below 3.5. Oh and the truck is a '97 ch613 daycab. Any help would be appreciated.

Where did you attach the antenna mount? i couldn't get a good SWR reading when mounting on the grab handle over the rear window, despite the fact that my company owns several hundred Pinnacles identical to mine where this setup worked fine. I was able to get a good ground by bolting a piece of galvanized "L" angle where the handle attaches to the cab.

Jim

The factory antenna system was not working when my truck was delivered new but I had only planned using it until I had a chance to mount my own bracket anyway. I would try your clamp mount on the center of the handle above the rear window and your own coax. Unless clearance is an issue where you travel, I would also go with a minimum 4' antenna.

Jim