Fuel problems with Fuel pro 382

R Jack

I have a 2006 Mack Vision, I have trouble with loosing fuel in the fuel pro 382. I have cleaned check valve, replaced check valve, changed o rings on cap and base. Have to add fuel to it soon as it sits a couple days, and prime. Anyone have solution for me.

There are no visible leaks, Can leave it in shop for 3-4 days and don't find no leaks, I have cleaned check valve replaced check valve, and it is higher than fuel tank. Would there be a check in fuel tanks??

Loss of Prime:
When air is intr
oduced into the fuel
system, (i
e
draining water fr
om the Fuel Pro or when
replacing the fuel filter) a check valve is needed to
keep the fuel system primed from the Fuel Pro back
to the fuel tank
A check valve is standar
d with every
Fuel Pro
A
To test for pr
oper check valve operation,
remove the fuel inlet hose and open the vent
cap
Fuel should not flow out of the Fuel Pr
o,
although a slight seepage of fuel is normal
B
If fuel drains back to the fuel tank, remove the
check valve assembly at the fuel inlet fitting
Disassemble the check valve assembly
Clean
and inspect
Replace the assembly if any cuts,
gr
ooves or nicks are evident in the ball or body
seat

Reinstall the check valve assembl

Edited by mrgumby

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

1 - The Davco test in the manual available online (pg 19 for Model 382) states that slight seepage is normal when testing the check valve. A little seepage can add up over several days.

2 - Davco states to use a thread sealant when installing the check valve and torque to 44-60 ft-lb.

3 - All it would take would be a spec of dirt or sand to get between ball and seat to cause drainage. Maybe crud coming out of the tank. Or check for any fine particles in the base and blow out with brake clean and compressed air. Doubt it but there may be corrosion in the base or crack.

If no external leak the only place it can drain is back through the check valve.

• Like 1

Another thought. Davco recommends draining the water from the bottom of the unit once a week. If this is not done the base can get corroded internally. All it would take is a little bit of that corrosion to break off and get between the check valve ball and seat. The result being fuel leaking out of the unit back to the line or tank.