Anyone Running An 8ll Tranny?

diesel

I have been using this 92 CH613 with a 22 ft aluminum grain box for a few weeks. I have been around my 13 speed in my 377 Pete for 8 years. It seems to me that theMack's high side gears in the 8LL tranny is a little long legged. The engine is an E7 and I recently installed a Blixxton and put the toggle to the 30% position. I am getting around 21 # of boost when the truck is loaded weighing around 58-60,000 lbs. Is this the nature of the 8LL trannys? Thanks.

That transmission is meant to be shifted as a "5 speed" the low range is really only for putting around in the field (in your application) or jobsite use as a cement or dump truck. One thing that may help you if you have a low rpm engine...... have your local mack dealer set the top rpm to 2100. it will shift a little easier, your engine is designed to have the torque to pull from the lower rpms, a little tough to get used to i understand..

What transmission do you have, A mack or an eaton fuller... Beacause an eaton fuller 8LL is to be shifted as an eight speed(similar to your pete). But a mack 2060,70,80 can be ran like a five.. The eaton fuller 8LL trans should like low rpm better...

There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!

The tranny is the Eaton Fuller 8LL tranny. Shifting thru the low side is easy. Getting thru the high side is a little more challenging than the high side of the 13 speed in the Pete. It seems like the gears are a wide ratio between gears. I don't suppose I can add on the ability to split the gears on the high side, like the Pete?

The tranny is the Eaton Fuller 8LL tranny. Shifting thru the low side is easy. Getting thru the high side is a little more challenging than the high side of the 13 speed in the Pete. It seems like the gears are a wide ratio between gears. I don't suppose I can add on the ability to split the gears on the high side, like the Pete?

Some of the later model 9spds are able to be converted into a 13-spd, but I have not heard of doing that to a 8ll, with the splitter top gears are roughly 17% splits on the 8LL or 9 its a 33% split, plus the 13 has a double over Some of the Mack 13's have just as good or better low hole than you 8ll plus you can still split the top side, I run a fuller 13 good trans. leaps and bounds better than any 9 or 10spd(fuller)

The 8LL in your application is basically a 9 speed over drive with a deep reduction rear box. Very similar to a 15 over. With the correct auxiliary drive gear it is possible replace the deep reduction rear box with a 13 over rear box and have a 13 double over. Aside from setting your hair on fire, it wouldn't address your issue of being a little long legged. Most of the on off road Macks in my area, with an 8LL run a 4.64 gear. They have plenty of low gear, and top out about 80 mph.