Antifreeze In The Oil

jake

Tonite I pulled the oil pan on the 711 to see where the antifreeze was coming from. It was easy to see. It was dripping off #2 main bearing bolt. When I followed it up I could see it was coming from a passage in the block at # 2 cylinder above the cam next to the cam follower. I was wondering if someone could tell me where this passage leads and what sould I look for when I remove the heads. Thanks. jakebake

Tonite I pulled the oil pan on the 711 to see where the antifreeze was coming from. It was easy to see. It was dripping off #2 main bearing bolt. When I followed it up I could see it was coming from a passage in the block at # 2 cylinder above the cam next to the cam follower. I was wondering if someone could tell me where this passage leads and what sould I look for when I remove the heads. Thanks. jakebake
If you could post a photo of the pasage that you are talking about it would be better for us to tell were it is coming from.If it is coming from above the cam it may be a headgasket or a crack in the block. I still remember some info on that engine but with out knowing which passage it will be hard. I would pull the rocker and push tubes and look down that way with a good light. If the side plates are leaking oil then it would be a good time to pull them and that way you may see were the leak is coming from. glenn

glenn akers

If you could post a photo of the pasage that you are talking about it would be better for us to tell were it is coming from.If it is coming from above the cam it may be a headgasket or a crack in the block. I still remember some info on that engine but with out knowing which passage it will be hard. I would pull the rocker and push tubes and look down that way with a good light. If the side plates are leaking oil then it would be a good time to pull them and that way you may see were the leak is coming from. glenn

If its not a head gasket I beleive you'll find you have cavitated block not totaly un heard of on these older engines!Pull the side coves that should tell the tale!

If its not a head gasket I beleive you'll find you have cavitated block not totaly un heard of on these older engines!Pull the side coves that should tell the tale!

Thanks for the replies. Today I took off the front head and it looked likeit was leaking between the heads also. Hoever we can't see any thing wrong with the gasket. Tomorrow I will take the head in to have it tested for a crack. I left the block level full of antifreeze and will look for any trace on the bottom. Maybe will get time to pull the other head also. Will order new gakets this week too. Thanks. jakebrake

Thanks for the replies. Today I took off the front head and it looked likeit was leaking between the heads also. Hoever we can't see any thing wrong with the gasket. Tomorrow I will take the head in to have it tested for a crack. I left the block level full of antifreeze and will look for any trace on the bottom. Maybe will get time to pull the other head also. Will order new gakets this week too. Thanks. jakebrake

fjh I think you're right. It is the block that is leaking. Ihave the block setting with antifreeze in it and it keeps leaking out the bottom. My nephew has a scope and we are going to look down a push tube hole and see what we find. Have you ever repaired a cavitated block? jakebrake

fjh I think you're right. It is the block that is leaking. Ihave the block setting with antifreeze in it and it keeps leaking out the bottom. My nephew has a scope and we are going to look down a push tube hole and see what we find. Have you ever repaired a cavitated block? jakebrake
I have seen them and the old 673 crack between 1 and 2 behind the front side plate at the top of the plate opening almost to high to repair . If it is not too high the use the lock/n/stitch prosess. to repair and that will be all you can do.

Dont try to weld it . You will only make more cracks. Some times the head bolt holes will be cracked down but can say i ever saw one leak coolant down. glenn

glenn akers

glenn, Tonite I removed the right fender, injector pump, and side cover. Icould see some crusty looking sluge right behind the tube that runs from the top of the block to the cam. After I clean and dried the area behind the tube it would slowly turn wet again. I think that has to be the place because I can follow a crusty white trail from there all the way down to the main bearing cap. I think the block had been treated with stop leak a quite a few times. I am wondering if epoxy would repair it? Do you know if that tube can be removed to make a repair easier? Thanks. jakebrake

glenn, Tonite I removed the right fender, injector pump, and side cover. Icould see some crusty looking sluge right behind the tube that runs from the top of the block to the cam. After I clean and dried the area behind the tube it would slowly turn wet again. I think that has to be the place because I can follow a crusty white trail from there all the way down to the main bearing cap. I think the block had been treated with stop leak a quite a few times. I am wondering if epoxy would repair it? Do you know if that tube can be removed to make a repair easier? Thanks. jakebrake
That is the later block because the first block had a cast iron tube which was part of the block and it would crack and let oil leak out and there was a tube that could be installed from the top to repair and then the later block had a replaceable tube that come in from the top but never did see one replaced. That may be too old for your mack dealer to help you with but i just dont know who would have a replacement tube and tool for it. That tube transferes oil to the heads that you see. You may need a engine . I would heat that area with a torch some and take a another look and see it it is were the tube come down out of the block but i still dont know were you will find a repair for it.If you find for sure were it is coming from call these guys because they did alot of block repairs but have gone to larger engines but some one there can help you as far as info on the repair method. 918 4461828

http://www.memorialmachine.com/mm/

glenn akers

That is the later block because the first block had a cast iron tube which was part of the block and it would crack and let oil leak out and there was a tube that could be installed from the top to repair and then the later block had a replaceable tube that come in from the top but never did see one replaced. That may be too old for your mack dealer to help you with but i just dont know who would have a replacement tube and tool for it. That tube transferes oil to the heads that you see. You may need a engine . I would heat that area with a torch some and take a another look and see it it is were the tube come down out of the block but i still dont know were you will find a repair for it.If you find for sure were it is coming from call these guys because they did alot of block repairs but have gone to larger engines but some one there can help you as far as info on the repair method. 918 4461828

http://www.memorialmachine.com/mm/

I have never seen one of these leak before so Glen's solution is your only option!