Hello To All!

truckinvt

I've been surfing for some time looking for a place to help with my future Bulldog project.

She's a special truck to me as it is the truck both my wife & I learned to drive big rigs with. My father sold it to my wife for $1.00 as a birthday gift she gave to me. It's a '69 U685-ST currently with a dump body on it. She's got a 237 (Maxidyne?) 6-cyl. & a straight 5-spd. tranny. Plans are to lose the dump & go flatbed or put a 5th wheel back on as it was built. I'm sure the wife & I will put some cool custom touches on it as well. I'll be posting pics later after I get her out of the weeds.

Gearheads are the ORIGINAL recyclers.

I've been surfing for some time looking for a place to help with my future Bulldog project.

She's a special truck to me as it is the truck both my wife & I learned to drive big rigs with. My father sold it to my wife for $1.00 as a birthday gift she gave to me. It's a '69 U685-ST currently with a dump body on it. She's got a 237 (Maxidyne?) 6-cyl. & a straight 5-spd. tranny. Plans are to lose the dump & go flatbed or put a 5th wheel back on as it was built. I'm sure the wife & I will put some cool custom touches on it as well. I'll be posting pics later after I get her out of the weeds.

Welcome! Great to have another truck with history to join us. Lots of folks available to help you along.

Yes the truck would have been built with an ENDT675(237hp) "Maxidyne" series engine with a "Maxitorque" five speed transmission. This is according to the 685 series code in the trucks' model number. Should be a rather "unique" truck as there are not many "U" series left operating. In my area, there were a lot of "DM" series trucks, but most are gone now due to age.

Glad to have you aboard.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Welcome! Great to have another truck with history to join us. Lots of folks available to help you along.

Yes the truck would have been built with an ENDT675(237hp) "Maxidyne" series engine with a "Maxitorque" five speed transmission. This is according to the 685 series code in the trucks' model number. Should be a rather "unique" truck as there are not many "U" series left operating. In my area, there were a lot of "DM" series trucks, but most are gone now due to age.

Glad to have you aboard.

Rob

Thanks much for the info. As far as the "operating" goes, the truck was still working up to 2006 when it was parked, but it could be road legal with minimal work. I'm glad I ended up with the truck as it was probably going to be a parts truck for my Father who replaced this rig with an '84 DM600 10-wheeler dump. (Maybe i'll be fortunate enough to end up with that one too... heheh.)

Thanks much for the info. As far as the "operating" goes, the truck was still working up to 2006 when it was parked, but it could be road legal with minimal work. I'm glad I ended up with the truck as it was probably going to be a parts truck for my Father who replaced this rig with an '84 DM600 10-wheeler dump. (Maybe i'll be fortunate enough to end up with that one too... heheh.)

Ending up with "many" Mack Trucks is a common affliction around here. No shame in that as I have nine myself. I do have to watch and keep inventory of them as "Momma" tends to sell things if I go somewhere too long.

Those DM's were heavy trucks, especially the 800 series. I don't know if there is a level of comfort to driving one of those, but they can't be beat, (except with a sledgehammer) when worked. The standard R models do not ride like a cloud either.

Do you plan to go into business with these, or use them for hobby purposes?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ending up with "many" Mack Trucks is a common affliction around here. No shame in that as I have nine myself. I do have to watch and keep inventory of them as "Momma" tends to sell things if I go somewhere too long.

Those DM's were heavy trucks, especially the 800 series. I don't know if there is a level of comfort to driving one of those, but they can't be beat, (except with a sledgehammer) when worked. The standard R models do not ride like a cloud either.

Do you plan to go into business with these, or use them for hobby purposes?

Rob

I hear you about the ride of the DM's.

That rig of my fathers is a former cement mixer chassis. (55k rears, 20k front axle & a triple frame.)

As far as working my 'U' model, its just a hobby at this point. I'm confident I could work this truck any time I choose, though. The small business situation here in Vermont doesn't make it easy to get started. I'm going to register the truck as an antique just so I can afford to the fees.