decisions...decisions...decisions...

RowdyRebel

I'm anxious to get it finished, too. First time I ever split a motor from the transmission...PITA, but wasn't too complicated. Fun part will be putting it back together, although with all new parts it ought to be a MUCH cleaner job. Probably do some interior work this weekend, as they are calling for rain...and hopefully in a couple weeks it'll be back on the road.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• 1 month later...

SONUVAB!%@#....

Gotta have this thing up & running in 3 days. Still need to splice in the electronic controller, put the new (deeper) trans pan on and install the gauge, mount the aux cooler and run the lines, put the exhaust back up (possibly alter it a bit). Not TOO much, considering I'm off work...but now this:

post-1673-0-46621700-1448979344_thumb.jp

Looks like I get to pull a head off to see if it's cracked or just a head gasket. :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Well, after tossing around the idea of dumping a bottle of that head gasket/block repair crap into the radiator, I decided to do the job right. Didn't SEE any cracks, but don't have time to have it checked...so, new head will be here tomorrow to put on. Hoping that by the time I go to bed tonight, all that'll be left to do is splice in the controller and put the motor back together. We need it running by Friday morning.

post-1673-0-79646800-1449026685_thumb.jp

The bites! But, better now than on the road. My honey would call me to say it's smoking as she keeps driving it.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Well, I had it to the point I'd hoped before I went to bed...at 7 AM. Woke up @ 10 and got back to work...sleep is overrated. New head arrived today and it's going back together like a 1,000,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. Ought to get 'er put together and the valves adjusted tonight, though...but it's shaping up to be a COLD SOB tonight. Got m. Have to wait 'til tomorrow to fire it up & make sure I got the distributor in right...should be pretty damn close. Change the oil, splice in the controller, and bolt the exhaust back up and she's done...HOPEFULLY...ain't put it under there yet to see if that needs to be stretched an inch or two. Should probably do that before I run to town for a new rotor (wrench slipped...which is why it won't be fired up tonight). Oh well. Wouldn't be a project without setbacks. By the way, the wife was giving me a hard time about my heater...

post-1673-0-52343800-1449124275_thumb.jp

Looks like I'll be doing some cutting & welding this morning...or stack some gaskets and use longer bolts. If it were MY pickup truck, I'd likely do option 2...but this Suburban is for the wife, so I'd probably do option 1.

Got 'er together for the trip up north, and it made it without too much trouble. A couple new issues reared up, though, and I'll be getting those taken care of in the next week or so...parts are on order now. The fuel tank is leaking when it's full...think it's the seam, but it might be above that where I can't see or reach because of the frame rail. Once it gets down to 3/4 tank or so, it quits. Fuel tank/straps/etc have been ordered. There was also a fuel line that was pinched before I bought it...started spraying fuel out onto the side of the transmission and the exhaust...so I cut out the bad spot and used a barbed connector with some hose clamps for the trip....compression fittings are on their way. Then Tuesday while I was running around town, I noticed the master cylinder was leaking where it bolts onto the booster...not sure which or if it is just where they bolt together...so they are being replaced as well. Going to replace the cruise control servo, too, since that has a broken vacuum port and the ring that holds the rod connecting it to the throttle is ripped out. Also getting the oil cooler lines, which the bracket needs to be bent up a little to get them off the frame crossmember where they have been rubbing for who knows how long causing them to leak. I also will need to either shorted and trim the hook latch that keeps the hood from flying up if the release latch fails...because I removed it for the trip since it was hitting the new transmission oil cooler. If I can't get that hook to work with a little cutting, welding, and grinding, then I'll be installing some hood pins.

I still need to open up the rear drums to install the parking brake cables and see what all else is going to be needed....shoes, springs, cylinders, etc...HOPING that is all good, though, but given the trouble the rest of it has been I'm not holding my breath. Kid cut the parking brake cables out of the drums when he lifted it instead of simply splicing in a little extra piece of cable to make them reach. Also have a new cable to replace the one from the pedal, and all of the hardware. I've been putting this part of the job off as long as possible, because I'll have to pull the damn axle shafts to get the drums off. EVERY other vehicle I've ever worked on, you remove the wheel and the drums slide right off of the hub...but not this one. Drum appears to be part of the hub. Stupid design, and ridiculously more expensive to replace when the drum wears out. Can't even open up the drum to LOOK at what's going on without replacing a seal and resealing the axle shaft to the hub.

Eventually, I think I'll throw some 2" lift blocks back under the rear because it has that "I'm carrying a heavy load" squat...even with brand new springs all of the way around. Fronts are 3/4 ton 2" over stock, and the rears are 1 ton 2" over stock. I want it to look like it's riding level...but that'll probably wait for everything else to get fixed.

Anyway, it rides MUCH better...doesn't beat you up over the bumps anymore. Transmission held pretty steady at 132 degrees the whole trip uo there and back. Around town yesterday, it was 140-150, but that was in town, stop & go, etc. Highest I've seen it climb was 168, but I was hooked up to a trailer packed full of shavings backing it uphill into the machine shed to keep the shavings dry if/when it rains before they are needed in the stalls. Hell, the system took 22 quarts to fill.....5-1/2 GALLONS!!! That's a 4L85E transmission with the Derale extra capacity (as in 4 qts & 16 oz more) transmission pan (with the cooling tubes), a 30K GVWR B&M Supercooler, and running it the OEM cooler in the radiator. Expensive to fill, but hopefully it helps give the new transmission a long & happy life. The transmission shifts nice and firm...and the converter locks in around 35 mph. Still haven't played with any shift points...trying to get it dialed in so the speedometer setting on the controller is accurate. It's a little off using the right numbers for the 4.10 axle gears and the 285/75R16 tires....but if I change the tire size to a 235/85R16 I'm only 10% off. I'm going to try changing the gearing to 4.42 in the controller to see if that gets us closer. I need this accurate because the speedometer in the dash doesn't always work....takes about an hour for it to decide to start working, but once it does, it's dead-nuts accurate. We've just been using speedometer apps on our phones, but if the controller shows the right speed, then the phones wouldn't be needed. I also haven't installed the temp gauge, since the transmission controller can show that as well. The sensor is in the pan, so it's just a matter of running the wire up into the cab and deciding where I want the gauge. Little things like that aren't really a top priority at this point, though.

For the most part, I'm happy with it. Once I get a few of the "safety" issues fixed and the leaks stopped, I'll let the wife start driving it.