Australian Peter Royter and his Scania retire gracefully

kscarbel2

Scania Press Release / August 20, 2015

With 5.3 million kilometers (3,293,267 miles) on the clock, Peter Royter and his impressive 1989-year model Scania model 113M 6x4 tractor have both gracefully retired after a full life on the road.

Though Royter is now back at his home in Buff Point, 110 kilometres north of Sydney, his veteran Scania tractor has been awarded a prominent place at National Road Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs.

Peter Royter acquired his first Scania, a model LB80, in the late 1970s, not long after the Swedish truckmaker first entered the Australian market. He has since owned one 141 and two 142 models.

Why only Scania? “Because I love Scania, ever since they entered Australia it’s been the best truck.”

In 1992, Royter purchased the 3-year old 113M, which after 700,000 km was in a dilapidated state. He invested a fair amount of money and with the help of the Scania dealer in Coffs Harbour, K and J Trucks, restored the truck to a better than mint condition. “I knew that this was going to be my last truck before retirement and therefore worth preserving.”

Over the past 23 years, until retirement at the age of 67 three months ago, Royter has made countless journeys across Australia, transporting palm trees to clients in Melbourne and Sydney.

And although he now has abandoned the road, he and his wife Sandra continue to operate their plant wholesale business. “I’m healthy and want to spend more time with my wife and the rest of the wonderful family.”

Four years ago, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in recognition of his long driving career since the age of 17. “They expressed an interest in my truck and now it’s in Alice Springs. The Hall of Fame felt that it was so spectacular that it has earned a place not in the museum but a more publicly visible place. It’s a glamorous truck with a lot of accessories.”

Royter doesn’t regret having donated his marvel to the Hall of Fame. “It was wise to donate the truck to posterity; it will be there forever. In 20 years’ time, people will see it and think, goodness me what a truck. They simply don’t make trucks like they used to.”

Related photographs:

http://newsroom.scania.com/en-group/files/2015/08/IMG_0506-this.jpg

http://newsroom.scania.com/en-group/files/2015/08/IMG_0480_done-this.jpg