low air warning questions

I have a 79 rs600. The audible and visual low air warning devices both work on the truck but not all the time. If the air is low and i turn on the ignition, they will both come on. But sometimes, if the ignition is on and i fan the air down; the low air warnings won't come on. If i turn the ignition on and off a bunch it will usually start working again. Do you think this is an ignition switch issue? What actually triggers the warning? It almost seems like there is a loose or dirty connection somewhere. I would like to try to find/clean everything related to the warning system but don't know where to start looking.

Again, thanks for all your advice in the past little while fellas

I would check the buzzer first, more than likely it is a loose or corroded connection. When I got my RW last fall similar situation with buzzer, back up alarm and some lights, I took a small wire brush and some emery cloth and cleaned the terminals and replaced a few and replaced some wires. Before you go to far, probably a good idea to check all the important connections. The headlight switch terminal only had about 4 stands of wire still connected that may have caused a fire in the right situation or left me in the dark.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Totally!! Yeah old wiring is the one thing that scares me about our old trucks.

Where is the buzzer on an R model? And is there a trigger on the air gauge or is there a seperate device to trigger the buzzer and light during a low air situation?

its an old truck so listen for it when it is buzzing either under the dash or firewall. Should be off the primary side of the air line. Mine has/had three the one that was working was secured on the drivers side kick panel, if I remember right the one my 1980 r was under the dash.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

also check the cabpower relay ( it's under the ash tray pannel) the blower motor, engine brake, volt meter, and a few misc. things are run off the relay but it can quit working and unless you watch for a low voltage volt meter. you maynot realize its not working. It will cause the issues as you named above!