negative vs positive ground

dek1581

I have seen posts in the past re: changing from the old positive ground setup to the more modern negative ground setup. does anyone know when Mack started making rigs (particularly fire trucks) with the newer arrangement? also, I would assume the change is more than just reversing wires on the batteries. there was a schematic posted once but I can't remember. I should have printed it.

Theres a little more to it. Your Amp meter will have to be delt with, the heater motor wires need to be reversed, fuel gage wont work, radios will not take the change. I have in the past swapped the wires on Amp meter and heater motor and lucked out. Fuel gage? Did Mack ever make a fuel gage that worked anyway?

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

<SNIP>

Fuel gage? Did Mack ever make a fuel gage that worked anyway?

The pig farmer I worked for had a 02 Granite with a perfectly functioning fuel gauge. Showed the amount of air in the tank. Ask me how I found that out. Luckily I was at the top of the hill when it "went to sleep", pumps where at the bottom :)

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I believe Mack switched from positive to negative ground in 1971 in fire trucks. (I had a 1970 CF that was delivered in December of 69 that was one of the last time come off the line as positive) I have also attached wiring diagrams from that truck from the original manual. Hopefully they help you out!

Edited by IndianaFireman