Double Frame Rust Repair?

Our '85 Superliner has been stretched and is double framed for most of its length, and tripled where the splice was made. What we are seeing is scale rust developing between the frame rails along the the upper and lower flanges. I am wondering how best to stop the progression of this rust and then repair it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks, Rick

Hi,

I would say that a rust converter would be a good choice. I have used it on floor boards. You can get it through petersons. I is a liquid that will turn rust into a epoxy like substance that can be painted, It will make the rust turn black and being a liquid it will flow into the area that is between the frame rails.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

• 2 weeks later...
hard on the hand, but take a zip gun and make that shit come out... as long as it will stay it the frame it will take expansion. when it comes out sand blast, clean till all the sand comes out of the crack and paint it.. you do it one time, after you order single frame and drink beer enjoying it  :thumb:

What do you think about saying to hell with the old triple/doube frame setup and have a new heavy single frame bent up, punched and swap it in?

My superdog is double skinned, and under the turntable there is signs of some heave, I used a hacksaw blade to scribe through the rust until i got a clean gap all the way along the rails then liberally squirted Blackguard into the gap , which is a rust converter, it goes on white then turns to black, That was 3 months ago, Ill check again , but dont expect any more problems, Id loath having to strip the old girl down.

nigel :chili:

my first b model was double framed and it was spreading badly near the rear of the truck. i tryed some of that rust remover and it worked if you could get it all out. My problem was getting to the back side of the inner rail. My plan was to remove the inner rails and stretch the outer rails then add some clean inner rails. the farther I went to remove the cancer the more problems I found..i.e cracked outer rails. If you dont remove all the rust between the rails you may have a problem getting them lined up again. After a year of messing with rust problems I decided to just find a good single frame B model and use that platform.

I know those double frame macks are tough as nails but the frames need some attention if you live were salt is used often.

then again you could always find one of those "good" old school mechinics that could pull the inner rail out of the truck when it sat on jack stands. heard about it but never saw it done.

good luck

Trent