Questions About Lowboy Work

I am planning to get into the lowboy business. I have some customers already but don't have a trailer ( and am not ready for one yet).

I have 3 questions 1. What make of lowboy trailer should I stay away from (and why)?

2. Do I need to carry dollar for dollar cargo insurance? If I plan to haul a $230,000 machine do I need to carry at least that much in cargo insurance?

3. I have a 98 CH with a 427 and 40,000 lb rear. It is set up for a lowboy ( 2line wet kit, rear frame crossmember support). The heaviest machine I might haul weighs about 80,000 lbs. With a 50 ton lowboy is my tractor suited to do this type of hauling??? Thanks, Rob w.

Nobody likes to tell someone else how to run their business,

but I'll give you a reply.

I see three things that you could improve on -

One: I'm not sure how you can possibly go into the equipment hauling business

without a trailer. Plan on a minimum of $50k., probably more for a new, inexpensive

detachable 30 ton unit. And, very soon, you'll need a drop-deck flat trailer and a 50 ton lowboy.

Two: Talk to your insurance man about insurance. That's what they're for.

Three: The tractor sounds adequate for most work up to 80,000 lbs., but the trailer

type and design plays a big part in the equation. Think about it.

I'm sticking my neck out a little bit here - but it sounds to me like you might want to

do some more homework before jumping in.

Trucking today is not the hook-em-up, move-em-out business that some people think

it is. New tractors are routinely over $100k, and new trailers can easily reach that mark too.

I don't need to tell you that fuel at $5.00/gallon and tires at $300 to $400/each are probably

not going to get any cheaper. (And by the way - in the lowboy business - you eat a lot of tires).

And then there is the government. Around every turn, some member of the DOT, State Police,

DEC, IRS, Fuel Apportionment and thousands of others are going to try to ruin your day.

Every business, no matter what kind, needs a business plan. A well thought out and written

document of how you plan to handle all of the known obstacles. Because there a thousand unknown

obstacles that will find you when you least expect it. The business plan is the Bible of any good business.

The capital sin of most new businessmen is too little planning.

Be Careful and Be Smart.

Paul Van Scott

Paul, Thanks for the reply appreciate it. However, I didn't give enough info in my original question. All those things you discussed I had looked into already. I have moved some equipment before for another employer. I do semi-dump so I'm familiar with alot of flat tires.

You're right though...between $5+ diesel and every agency wanting a piece of your a$$ nothing is ever easy is it??

Rob

In my aera Lowboy work is the ideal way to make mony inthe construction bizz. Dump trucks can make steady cash but the lowboy makes more hour for hour of work.

Depending on the state or who you work for will determin the min amount of coverage needed. You likely need to add cargo insurance to your policy as you are now hauling "cargo".

The truck sounds set up for most lowboy work is it double framed? thats a bonus if so. You need to know what type of machines you will be primarly moving. Some lowboys have deeper and longer decks that may be needed for clearance of certain machines. a 20" deck may be to short for some machines so make shure you ask the customers what they have. from what I see in my aera a used lowboy ranges from 20K and up, New they are around 40K and up. The gooseneck diffrences in trailers can make life easy or hard on you depending on the set up. You will possibly find air or manual pin latching and block hight adjustments. just look at the little diffrences.

good luck

Trent Blasco

My recommendation would be that you get a Trail King HG series (hydraulic removable gooseneck).

We have 3 of them where I work.

They're quick & easy to disconnect & hook up, the company has had no major problems with them, and you stated you already have the 2 line wet system on your tractor, so you'd be all set.

Here's the 60 ton triaxle we've got:

10-13-07003.jpg

10-13-07004.jpg

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Guest 45LMSWM

Rob,

If you are going to buy a trailer, I would go with a Rogers, Talbert, Fontaine, or Trail King. I would stay away from most everything else. In my opinion, Loaded deck height and length of the well are most important. You can fit just about everything in a trailer with 24' of open well, including 40 ton articulated trucks, but 25' to 26' would be better without getting too long. In a level deck, try to get one with 20" loaded deck height. Here in NJ, there are tons of low bridges and every inch is a mile. Also remember that most 45 Metric Ton excavators actually weigh around 110,000 lbs., so you would be over capacity on a 50 ton trailer, which is why they build so many 55 tonners now. The "boom trough" at the back of the trailer is also key, but that can be modified later.

Also, 40,000lb. rears are a little light for lowboy work. In my opinion, even 46000 is too light, but I am used to heavy spring suspension. I would rather have a truck with alot of ass then one without enough. Horsepower is no substitute for a heavy built truck.

Good Luck!

John

• 1 year later...

I drive a Mack Ch613 with a E7 427hp and a 13spd Mack the truck has 4.54 rears, 44,000lb suspension with 46,000lb springs, and a 20,000lb drop axle with dual tires. We pull a 55 Ton Talbert Lowboy with a 28' well and the back tires covered for graders. I have hauled mainley paving equipment and excavators on this trailer and never had a problem with it and I've even seen it pull a 100,000lb Road Tech milling machine though I didn't get to drive with it.