Tip Turbine

fields auto

so what is a tip turbin on a mack's engine intercooler and what does it do?
It is a fan that pushes outside air thru the intercooler to cool the boost air. It is driven by the boost air from the turbo and only a small amount of the boost air is used to turn the tip turbin.

glenn akers

I worked for Mack in S.L.C. UT in the late 70's

The issue I had with the two turbines was that if one shot craps, it took out the other one also.

More money and more pieces floating around.

Horse power was good. They ran like crazy.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I worked for Mack in S.L.C. UT in the late 70's

The issue I had with the two turbines was that if one shot craps, it took out the other one also.

More money and more pieces floating around.

Horse power was good. They ran like crazy.

Packer

But air/ air is much more ever thing. I put air/air on my B61 and so much more to be gained. I had a 320 in my and it did good but in the mountains it would get hot on the exhaust but the air/air fixed that.Also had to end up custom building a larger rad. to get rid of the heat that you would pickup because with the air/air you could stay in it in the mountains longer and then the coolant would get up to 210 after pulling awhile. Putting in a larger rad and raising the cab and a larger fan on and clutch fixed the problem. Raising the cab made the air flow out better behind the engine.

glenn akers