Air Intake Scoop

For those who know what I am talking about, some Australian Mack R's had a "scoop" top for the air cleaners that open towards the front of the truck. Does anyone know where I could acquire and purchase one of these for my truck? Are there any negative sides to having this style? Does rain get in? Any Australian truckers here?

Ram tubes will let more rain in so they are better used in dryer climates. Alot of garbage trucks had them around here not shure why? There was a company that had a stainless or chrome ram tube and then anoter company had a cheeper plastic version. You need to know your air cleaner inlet ID as diffrent engines had diffrent sizes..

I do like the looks of them on the R models.

Trent

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got a air intake scoop for my truck! Stole it off a 90's Ford cabover parked in the back and it just slid on perfectly. You can see it if you look at my avatar closely. I don't think it will add any power but it looks pretty bad ass!

They are called "ram air moisture eliminator" made by donaldson, any 1 that sells donaldson can order them they come in all different sizes on the breather end. The way they are made it wisks the water out of the air and out the back of the scoop. I have 1 on my R and the filter stay twice as clean, because the intake air is that much higher and cooler as well as the added bonus of the ram air effect. AND they look cool!!

Edited by bobo

They are called "ram air moisture eliminator" made by donaldson, any 1 that sells donaldson can order them they come in all different sizes on the breather end. The way they are made it wisks the water out of the air and out the back of the scoop. I have 1 on my R and the filter stay twice as clean, because the intake air is that much higher and cooler as well as the added bonus of the ram air effect. AND they look cool!!

I have one of them on an "R" model and do not like it. It is for the 6" air inlet on the top of the filter. It is an impedance to driving vision, (this is just me), as it is about 14-16" tall. It is on the truck in my avatar.

I would trade it for an original to fit.

I also have a "Maradyne" brand "Power Ram" on another "R" model. It is lower and not near as much of a vision block.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.