Fuel Problem I Cant Figure Out

slopoke

OK I have a 2003 Mack vision with 450000 or so. It is a septic pumper and in great shape(was) Its been running fine and never had any problems and serviced by Mack. Yesterday I blew a coolant line to the fuel processor and since Mack didnt have the line I went to Napa and had a line made. Stranded on the road I disconected the line from the pump and routed it to the manifold and bypassed the processor. Drove it home and parked it. I get in it this morning and it fires up sputters and shuts off. I replaced the filter and re-install the lines to the fuel processor and nothing. It will puff light smoke but will not start. Was bypassing the processor a bad Idea? It still builds up a little preassure but not making it to the injectors. I have mechanical experiance but limited diesle. Squirt fuel into the breather and starts fine but wont stay running

Now Im really upset. I have tried everything, replaced everything, and after 6 hours it decides it will crank up now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My problem now is what was wrong???? If I could find the problem and fix it Im OK and have no worries but not knowing what it is and it starts again for no reason I have to worry about stopping the engine now.But anyway its running and I can go back to work now. Later Will

By fuel processor I guess you mean the fuel filter assembley that has the clear plastic bowl with the fuel filter in it? If so, it does have 2 heater (coolant) hoses that pump coolant through it to keep the fuel warm in the winter. If you just bypassed this by looping the hose back around to the engine, it should not have hurt any thing and the truck should run fine. I have seen some that used regular heater(rubber) hoses and some that used high pressure style(stratoflex) hoses to run coolant through the filter. If your's uses the high pressure style hoses you might have gotten the lines mixed up as the fuel lines look like the coolant lines. P.S. you need to put shutoffs one those coolant lines so in the summer, you dont heat the fuel so hot, we have had some low power complaints do to fuel heaters left on during the summer.

Now Im really upset. I have tried everything, replaced everything, and after 6 hours it decides it will crank up now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My problem now is what was wrong???? If I could find the problem and fix it Im OK and have no worries but not knowing what it is and it starts again for no reason I have to worry about stopping the engine now.But anyway its running and I can go back to work now. Later Will
Well here is the way i look at that is you have it running so ndont worry about it and i also think that the Lord has to get our attension sometimes and if we want listen one way we may listen another way but any way it may have been aired up and it is not always easy to bleed the air.

glenn akers