winterizing pump

609albert

If you want to keep it wet I think you are doing the right thing. Unless you pump the rig during show season I would keep the RV anti-freeze in it year round.

Just make sure you drain or fill the lines that go from the radiator to the pump that carry water from the pump through a heat exchanger in the radiator.

Another common problem is plugged drain cocks. If you open a drain and nothing comes out do not assume it is dry.(I have repaired several engines that froze because of this) Poke a wire through the drain to make sure rust and crud have not blocked the drain. That is why it is a good idea to open the drains, except the main drain, while the pump is pressurized. The main drain usually has an O-ring that will be blown out if you open it under pressure.

Of course you could just give the rig to me and I'll keep it in my heated garage.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

thanks for the info Carl, we just finished an addition to the existing pole bldg. (actually the addition is larger, 42 x 60 ) we are going to insulate ceiling and walls and finish off and possible a heater ,that won't be done till the spring .

Sorry. I have to go against the anti-freeze folks here. I don't know of anyone who has ever taken that route that didn't have bad luck, whether it be all the AF leaking out over time and all over the floor, or the AF not being distributed properly and drain valves freezing up and breaks due to expansion.

I am all for total draining and evacuation by air pressure. Upon the impending freezing weather, I open every valve that exists on the truck, and remove all the caps. Let it drain down while driving it around for a few miles to "slosh" everything out. (Remembering that if there is residual water in the tank it has room for expansion and therefore is not as critical.) When I get back to the barn, I close everything back up. I have a 2.5" discharge cap that I drilled out and tapped with the proper threads to receive a male air coupling. I put it on a discharge, and pressurize the pump with 5-10psi of air. Now open each and every valve and drain one at a time and let the air push everything out. Repeat for several cycles. |

When you are done, open every valve back up and leave them open, juuuuuuuust in case if there does happen to be any more residual water in there, the valves wont trap it and create expansion breaks.

I have never had any issues using this method.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS