Yes they are basically interchangeable.

There are differences involving the drive and adapter for compressor mounted power steering pumps.

The older "500" compressor for Macks used an adapter(spacer) with long studs and short nosed compressor where it bolts to the auxiliary drive.

The later "500" compressor for Macks used a long nosed compressor eliminating the need for the spacer(and eliminating one more oil leak).

There is a "501" compressor made for a Mack with a long nose that will bolt right up.

Ron

Yes they are basically interchangeable.

There are differences involving the drive and adapter for compressor mounted power steering pumps.

The older "500" compressor for Macks used an adapter(spacer) with long studs and short nosed compressor where it bolts to the auxiliary drive.

The later "500" compressor for Macks used a long nosed compressor eliminating the need for the spacer(and eliminating one more oil leak).

There is a "501" compressor made for a Mack with a long nose that will bolt right up.

Ron

Ron...thank you...so with no power steering to worry about.....I need to find a 501 with a long nose..and there are no differences in the drive?? I would assume if going to replace it, one would replace drive as well??..correct??

rusty

Mine has the spacer..

I would definitely replace the drive hub on the compressor.

Also when you remove the compressor check the oil feed tube in the end of the auxiliary shaft.

Most times you'll find they're loose or worn.

They're not hard to replace, especially if they're already loose.

When installing the new one I used to stake the end that went into the auxiliary shaft so it fits a little tighter in the shaft.

It's easy to make a tool to drive the tube into the auxilliary shaft, just use a1/4" bolt and slightly grind it so that it slips easily in and out of the tube.

Use this to drive the new tube into the shaft without damaging it.

Replace the mounting studs with 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

Ron

I would definitely replace the drive hub on the compressor.

Also when you remove the compressor check the oil feed tube in the end of the auxiliary shaft.

Most times you'll find they're loose or worn.

They're not hard to replace, especially if they're already loose.

When installing the new one I used to stake the end that went into the auxiliary shaft so it fits a little tighter in the shaft.

It's easy to make a tool to drive the tube into the auxilliary shaft, just use a1/4" bolt and slightly grind it so that it slips easily in and out of the tube.

Use this to drive the new tube into the shaft without damaging it.

Replace the mounting studs with 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

Ron

THANKS FOR THE INFO....LET YOU KNOW HOW I MAKE OUT DOWN THE ROAD....RUSTY

I have Bendix info somewhere that tells which are interchangeable. 2 different drive attachment methods, I think. Not sure which is the oddball. 550?

Actually, after looking, I think I was thinking about the 500 vs 501 difference...which, as mentioned already, was related to the power steering connection. So, never mind!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I have Bendix info somewhere that tells which are interchangeable. 2 different drive attachment methods, I think. Not sure which is the oddball. 550?

Actually, after looking, I think I was thinking about the 500 vs 501 difference...which, as mentioned already, was related to the power steering connection. So, never mind!

I SENT AN EMAIL TO BENDIX YESTERDAY ASKING WHAT MODEL WOULD INTERCHANGE WITH A TU FLO 500 AND THEY REPLIED NONE......I THINK THIS IS A CASE OF THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW....AND JUST EASIER TO SAY NONE THAN PROVIDE A REAL ANSWER....WILL KEEP ASKING TILL I FIND OUT.....THX