25 years is considered a classic right? I bought my first truck this year, and i have a couple of questions.

First, does anybody know the difference between a CM400 and CM422? My registration papers say Mack 400, but the Mack customer care guy says its a 422 VIN.

He also says that the engine is an e5-240.

Is this engine supposed to be gutless?? It seems like 240 horse should be performing better than this... I'm having a hard time holding highway speed with an empty goose neck trailer.

It is probably an over kill set up; steel deck with 10T picker, 20T winch, and a 100% steel tilt/roller deck goose neck.

My axle weights are 5200/6800/4200kg empty, so its about 35,600 lbs.

It feels like I'm sailing with the anchor down, or am i just expecting too much from a French engine?

Can anybody tell me the approximate torque rating of an e5-240?

The trailer is heavy..for a goose neck... But the guy that i bought it from was pulling it with a 3/4 ton Chevy!

Also, 4 gears split +low + reverse =10 speed right? It has a road ranger sticker on the dash, but part of it is missing, so i don't know what make.

Would i be better off going up a long incline holding 80km/h in 8th @1400rpm, or 75km/h in 7th @1900rpm?

What would be the easiest/ most reliable way to add a few ponies? Or do i just need to replace the turbo and look at refreshing the engine in the near future?

There is no difference between a CM400 and a CM 422. CM400 is just the model family prefix.

CM422 signifies it has a Renault engine for power. The E5 was only available in the RD400 series. The Renault engine in a CM was an (06.02.24) engine if memory serves me right. The E5 came out after the end of CM production and at the start of RD400 series production.

CM models are as follows....

422 denotes Renault power single axle.

423 denotes Renault power tandem axle.

432 denotes 8.3 Cummins power single axle.

433 denotes 8.3 Cummins power tandem axle.

Forget about boosting power on a CM. Be lucky it runs good. Those trucks are made for city pickup and delivery. That's about it. There were endless complaints for lack of power on any CS,MS or CM that hauled a trailer.

After dyno testing, most passed at what the engine was rated for. Not to say therewis nothing wrong with yours. Just don't be surprised if you don't find an issue.

Also CM had an optional 7 speed fuller available. If it's a 10 it may be a change over. Check the spec through the VIN at the dealer. I use to see some throttle linkage issues that would hold the arm of the pump from getting anywhere near wide open. Keep in mind these Renault motors are not the torque monsters we find ion today's pickups. The 06.02.24 engine is just over 7L displacement.

The local dealer in lloydminister says they can look up VINs of any truck that they didn't sell, lol.

but mack customer care guy says this vin had an e5-240, and the seller claimed 240... Doesn't compare to the western star at work with a 650hp Cat, that's for sure.

I wasn't able to find any markings on this engine at all. Where are they supposed to be?

Also, any idea what kind of engine would be most "swappable" when this one craters?

Renault put the serial plates on the block. Above the starter on the driver side for mid-liners. CM engines I'm not 100% sure. The Model should start with a (MIDS 06 something)

That 240hp only comes with about 650lbft of torque. Any Diesel pickup truck on the market today has more twist.

We had a CS300T tractor with a cab fairing hauling light stuff with the E3220hp engine.9 speed RVI trans. Had to have your foot in it all day.

A Cummins C8.3L will fit for sure. Which also means if you wanted to go silly on it An electronic ISL 8.9L would also fit but you would have to retro fit the electronics. (ECM/sensors)

A 50 Series Detroit would need some shoehorning but would fit. Not a stump puller, but better then a Renault engine and easier to get parts for.

If that CM is in good shape and you need to flog it send me some pics. I could use a yard goat.

There is no difference between a CM400 and a CM 422. CM400 is just the model family prefix. CM422 signifies it has a Renault engine for power. The E5 was only available in the RD400 series. The Renault engine in a CM was an (06.02.24) engine if memory serves me right. The E5 came out after the end of CM production and at the start of RD400 series production. CM models are as follows.... 422 denotes Renault power single axle. 423 denotes Renault power tandem axle. 432 denotes 8.3 Cummins power single axle. 433 denotes 8.3 Cummins power tandem axle. Forget about boosting power on a CM. Be lucky it runs good. Those trucks are made for city pickup and delivery. That's about it. There were endless complaints for lack of power on any CS,MS or CM that hauled a trailer. After dyno testing, most passed at what the engine was rated for. Not to say therewis nothing wrong with yours. Just don't be surprised if you don't find an issue.

When used as intended, the Mid-Liner MS300T 4x2 tractor was a great performer, particularly with the 10-speed splitter transmission. I had nothing but satisfied customers.