My Cornfield Corvette

Bullheaded

Here's my present truck. 2005 International Paystar 5600i with a Cat Acert, 18 speed, 20-20 and 46 axles, Eagle interior, 20.5 foot diamond line heated dump box with vibrator and a CPL auto greaser system ( I swear by those!) it's kind of an on going project (keeps collecting shiny parts ;))

When this ones paid for I can start looking for another R or Superliner project, if I still have any money after I buy fuel :pat: That's my sleeper hooked to the back. :)post-2303-1208222452_thumb.jpg

Nice looking truck. Do you go uut of town that you need the camper.

Yes, I work out of town all the time. Local guys at home here cut the rates so bad you can't afford to work here. I bought the trailer because I was sick of motel rooms. It more than pays for itself. Plus the nice thing is when the kids are out of school for summer break, them and the wife come stay with me, so we get to all be together. Makes it easier to be away all the time. I try not to tow it with the big truck too much, but it usually goes to a location and stays all summer. I'm looking into getting one of those air ride receiver hitches.

Nice ride Bullheaded. I run a tri-axle dump in Northeast,Penna. I have a 2005 western Star 515 Detroit, 16908LL, 46,000 lbs. Rockwell 4.56 ratio,steerable lift axle, 18 FT. Brandon Heated Hi Tensile steel box.Why is the lift axle so far forward on Canadian trucks?Weight I imagine. I used to work out of town most of the time now i work for Pennsy Supply and keep me busy about 9 months of year. I haul road salt or coal for winter months if not that I go to Florida for winter with truck to work. This last winter work got slow in Florida so I stayed up here.What is empty weight of your IH? My Star is 27,300 a bit heavy could lighten up if i took oak sideboards off for pine. Joe D.

I also would like to know when you turn and that lift axle is down, does it scrub allot? I mean it looks like those tires take a beating and I wonder why I have never seen a self steered single tire lift axle on that setup. Don't some guys run twin steer dumpers?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I also would like to know when you turn and that lift axle is down, does it scrub allot? I mean it looks like those tires take a beating and I wonder why I have never seen a self steered single tire lift axle on that setup. Don't some guys run twin steer dumpers?

With a non steerable lift axle, you let the pressure off during a turn, if you don't, you're going straight ahead!

Lots of guys around here are now running "steerable" lift axles, which are similar to a front steer axle. This type has spring loaded shock absorbers on the tie rod to keep the wheels centered, but also allow the wheels to "steer" into the turn.

Here's a steerable lift axle:

6000.jpg

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

With a non steerable lift axle, you let the pressure off during a turn, if you don't, you're going straight ahead!

Lots of guys around here are now running "steerable" lift axles, which are similar to a front steer axle. This type has spring loaded shock absorbers on the tie rod to keep the wheels centered, but also allow the wheels to "steer" into the turn.

Herb,

I am thinking of the same setup that you described but wonder why they arent used. It seems kind of silly to have to manually lift the axle to turn.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Herb,

I am thinking of the same setup that you described but wonder why they arent used. It seems kind of silly to have to manually lift the axle to turn.

Thad, It could depend on the axle weight that is legally allowed on the lift axle in the locality where the truck is operated.

If Bullhead is allowed 20k on the lift axle, that would probably be the reason he is running a "fixed" lift axle with dual wheels.

There are 20,000 lb capacity steerable lift axles available, but unless you would run flotation tires such as 425/65 R 22.5, single tires would not be rated for that weight.

Here in WI we're only allowed 10k on each lift axle, so steerables with 11R22.5 or Lo Profile 22.5's are more than adequate.

We've still got some older trucks with fixed lift axles in the fleet where I work now, but the new ones that we put together now are getting steerables.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I run 315 80 R22.5 on the steerable lift axle they are rated for 9,000 lbs. apiece legal in Penna. and New Jersey for 18,000 lbs. Some states are making steerable lift axles mandatory on new trucks. New York State is one. A friend of mine wanted to get R Permit for New York State and they would not let him as his truck is 2007 and has fixed lift axle on it. Joe D.

Hello everyone. Here's a couple answers. My truck tares in at 12,700kg (27,998 pounds) with half a tank of fuel (300 litres). It was a little lighter new, but I put a pintle plate and hitch on and have some thick conveyor belting on the inside of the tailgate. That Beau-Roc Diamond Line box is 900 pounds lighter than a post style box, but I will never buy another Beau-Roc. Lots of problems like all the welds breaking (after 3 months of hauling asphalt, legal loads) and they wouldn't stand behind their warranty. Said it was driver abuse :angry: I am legal to gross 35,700kg (78,704 pounds), so I usually carry 22 to 23 metric tonnes. Our weight laws in Ontario require you to have 101" from the steer to the lift. And wide axle spacings on the drives. I can gain a ton by going to a 72" axle spread, but don't feel it justifies the added tire scrub and wear and tear to the truck. You definately have to lift the axle for tight corners (they want us to run 90 psi. in them, I don't). And I leave it up off road most of the time. HK Trucking is right, most steerables reqire super singles which would knock one tonne off my legal payload. Plus the added cost to buy, so most of us just lift. I never have any odd tire wear, so they aren't too bad. I did price a Granite with that Simard air ride twin steer front end and they were about $20,000 compared to about $7000.00 for a lift. They are a nice set up though, especially the air ride ones, because you can dump the pressure in the second axle to get better traction when stuck. If guys would get the rates up we could afford to buy that nice fancy stuff. The twin steers are real popular around the Ottawa, Quebec area. I'd like my next truck to be a Titan with that setup. I have some pics I'll try to get up in the gallery soon of a Granite at the Toronto show with the twin steer.

How do you like the Brandon box Joe D. They sell them here now, but I haven't looked at one yet.

Bullheaded I have no problems with the build quality of my Brandon Model FHA. I had a Bibeau and a Brandon before.The way it was explained to me is that Beau Roc and Brandon were started by family members of Bibeau. I have a friend that has a Beau Roc Diamond on his KW and he never said about any problems with it. When I ordered my body from Brandon I put the heavier gate on it, that was a mistake for weight purposes as I mostly haul asphalt,coal,salt, and crushed stone.We haul rip rap and shot rock but I try to stay away from it. I do not think it is worth the extra money to haul it. The company I work for has a $2.00 a ton premiun for anything larger than # 5 rip rap but I will let the others make the big bucks LOL. Joe D.