1999 Ch 613/460

dieseldust

Hi guys what could be causing excesive blowby, on my 1999/ 460 , new heads and a new turbo, blowing lots of white smoke out the oil filler tube and dip stick only when they are removed,

ARE YOU MISSING ANY COOLANT!

These engines tend to have some blow by over time! Remove and look at the fill plug .Does it look Green or wet with sludge? If not I would not worry too much!Having said that we have had a rash of failed turbos latly around here ,The turbos were the culpets ,BUT the symtom of blow by was under load HIGH boost.To newer units did this and several older ones.

Well it does have some of that brown sludge :( in the oil filler cap lid

Cheers

James

Then you can take some of the sludge and put to you tongue and if it tast sweet then antifrezze and it want hurt you if you dont drink it i have did it many years and now 63 years old and a air compress that has eat dirt will cause blow by. I have seen on 60 series i have seen a air compress cause a blowby test to be as hi as 10" and check after new compressor and down to 3" glenn

glenn akers

We had lots, I mean lots of 1999 models ETECH engines that had pistons rings that were to hard and were eating up the liners and we did alot of cheape overhauls where we reused the steel pistons and heads and just replaced the liners and rings, rod and main bearings and this solved our blow-by problems. There is a Mack service bullitin about this, mainly about the new rings, I can get you the bullitin # when I get to work. On the other hand I had a Mack engine engineer tell me not to worry about blow-by only if engine uses more than 1 gal oil every 1200 miles. We have a 99 CL with a 490XT that fogs out a steady of white stream of blow-by all the way to the ground but dosent use any oil and its been like that for 3 years and the truck is used every day( over 500000 miles on it). If the engine dosent have a coolant filter on it , it could be liners leaking coolant into the oil pan. Around 99/00 the coolant conditioner filter became an option and some engines didnt come with them, well 5-6 years down the road after the owner didnt keep the coolant DCA levels in check, the block ledge would get eaten out under the liners and coolant would get into the oil pan and steam would come out of the blow-by tube. We also have seen turbo shaft seals leak and turbo boost pressure would get into the center section/oil side of turbo and the turbo boost pressure would go down the tubo oil return hose into the oil pan where then the pressure would be forced out the blow-by tube making it look like bad blow-by, although this mainly happens while going down the road or engine idled up high. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Check the rubber hose on the breather pipe. I had the section of rubber hose on the breather pipe right by the valve cover collapse and caused the blow by to accelerate through the orfice and made it look like a lot of blow by. It also made the crank case pressure a little higher than normal. I have saw it on every truck with 600,000 mi on it. My truck was breathing heavy out of the dip stick and filler tube also. Replaced the hose for bout 3 bucks. Easy fix.... B)

There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!