tranny cooler question/auto trans

macattack

hey gang.

seems like i got some tran fluid sitting in my coolant resovoir. thinking the tran cooler has a leak.

anyways the rad in my mr688s has the tran cooler at the bottom of the rad inside the bottom tank. the bottom tank is bolted to the rad bottom with a bunch of bolts, has anyone removed all the bolts at the bottom to replace or service the cooler itself.

thinking maybe i could just service the cooler without removing the rad.

thanks

macattack: loosen the drain plug on trans after it has sat for a while (overnight) and see if any coolant is in oil pan of trans. since the trans oil is at a higher pressure than the coolant you might get lucky. on the cooler you could add a aux. fined cooler and by pass internal rad.cooler. If you don't have a crossmomber in the way you could remove bottom tank but if the side support bracket bolts break off you will be on your back drilling them out or pulling the rad......food for thought.

And that is why I don't like liquid coolers, air to oil is the only way to avoid that problem and they keep the trans cooler. Figure if your engine gets hot so does your trans, I talked to an Allison guy about the MT643's in buses years ago and he told me to get a separate cooler. They were built with water to oil coolers and he told us that if the trans gets over 200 you will have issues, hell the engines ran 185-205 all the time so so did our transmissions.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"