1999 E7 400hp Power Shortage

Mbmaring

I picked up a 1999 mack e7 with 350,00 miles and it says 400 HP on the valve cover. It seems a little week on power I hooked it up to my empty end dump and it doesn't seem to have much power in 10 gear and I think my series 60 360 hp seems to have more power. Is there anything simple besides a fuel filter I could check? Is it possible to change hp on these without too much work?

Does it have a manifold (turbo boost) pressure guage in the dash. If it does it should read 21-27 psi under a hard pull. If it doesnt have a guage you can get a low pressure air guage 0-50 psi and run a 1/4 inch plastic air line from the intake manifold up into the cab and hook it to the guage and run it down the road. We do this all the time to check boost pressure. The intake manifold is on the driver side of engine and has a 1/8 inch pipe plug in it, install your fitting/hose there. Does it black smoke under a load? Check air filter also. Fuel pressure is also key with an ETECH engine.

It does not smoke at all I will try the boost gauge and fuel filters. Is there a way to check fuel pressure or do you need to take it to a mack dealer and hook it up to a computer.

There is a plug on the front of the block right in front of the fuel pump gallerys screw in a 2 inch 3/8 pipe close nipple and an elbow with an aproprate sized fitting to adapt a guage to you'll need a 0 to150 gauge to do (this also can be used for boost) your looking for 60 to 100 psi fuel preasure.

if you have no smoke and below posted spec boost be looking at a fueling issue 25- 30 boost is a warm good running 400.

There is a plug on the front of the block right in front of the fuel pump gallerys screw in a 2 inch 3/8 pipe close nipple and an elbow with an aproprate sized fitting to adapt a guage to you'll need a 0 to150 gauge to do (this also can be used for boost) your looking for 60 to 100 psi fuel preasure.

if you have no smoke and below posted spec boost be looking at a fueling issue 25- 30 boost is a warm good running 400.

I don't get 30lbs of boost w/my 427.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

25- 30 boost is a warm good running 400

your 427 will likly hold on longer than the 400.

the torque curve is relitivly flat.

Year of unit makes a pile of diffrence too .

It seemed as the emmisons got tighter the horse power seemed to shrink!

NO ONE would ever admit to it but Im sure thats how it worked.

once the buy off went down with the EPA and what have you we noticed some power come down the pipe for a bit! there were

data files that would actually put out. the XP file was avalible for the eteck for a real breif period aprox 2 years.

that got nipped back real quick.