Hood, Radiator, Fender Exchange

Will the hood, fenders, and radiator from a B75 interchange with a B61. That is, match up to the cab?

We can buy my old B61 back. It's not 20 miles from us. My son might like to fix up the old truck he was raised with.

Thanks,

Cayoterun

The hood will be too long and the rad. and fender and headlight panels will work but the rad. is the wide rad. on the B75 but the fender panels i think will not work but you should be able to find them and the fender will have the extenders on the rear which i think you can leve off. I have never did this but have worked on them long time and it looks to me that will work.If i had it i would want the large rad. on my truck. glenn

glenn akers

Cayoterun,

The B73, B75 & B77 series trucks have a longer hood and include fender extensions to allow installation of a cummins inline 6 engine, which is several inches longer than a 673. The hood will be too long and have a cut out for the air intake. The B61 air intake enters the front portion of the cab before entering the engine compartment. The air intake for the engine on a B7x series enters directly into the engine comparment. All that being said, if you have a complete B61 (with damaged fenders, radiator, etc), the radiator, headlight panels and fenders from a B7x series should bolt directly onto your B61. I haven't measured the bolt spacing at the bottom of a B61 radiator vs. a B7x series, but they look pretty close. As mentioned previously, you would need the B61 hood. I haven't verified the fender bolt pattern either, but would be very surprised if there was a difference.

I'm assuming you have everything for the B61 and have access to a B75 front clip. The B75 cab mounts to the frame a little farther back, the rear spring hangers for the front axle are different (on a B61 the front cab mounts are part of the hanger, where on a a B75 they are separate; at least on mine), and the access panels between the fender and hood are different (probably need to use the B61's).

Let me or HarryB if you have questions - I've got a B613, and several B7x series trucks; Harry B is modifying a B6x series to fit a large bore inline 6. We've been working the issue from a different angle, but could probably help you out if you decide to jump in!

Scott

Cayoterun,

The B73, B75 & B77 series trucks have a longer hood and include fender extensions to allow installation of a cummins inline 6 engine, which is several inches longer than a 673. The hood will be too long and have a cut out for the air intake. The B61 air intake enters the front portion of the cab before entering the engine compartment. The air intake for the engine on a B7x series enters directly into the engine comparment. All that being said, if you have a complete B61 (with damaged fenders, radiator, etc), the radiator, headlight panels and fenders from a B7x series should bolt directly onto your B61. I haven't measured the bolt spacing at the bottom of a B61 radiator vs. a B7x series, but they look pretty close. As mentioned previously, you would need the B61 hood. I haven't verified the fender bolt pattern either, but would be very surprised if there was a difference.

I'm assuming you have everything for the B61 and have access to a B75 front clip. The B75 cab mounts to the frame a little farther back, the rear spring hangers for the front axle are different (on a B61 the front cab mounts are part of the hanger, where on a a B75 they are separate; at least on mine), and the access panels between the fender and hood are different (probably need to use the B61's).

Let me or HarryB if you have questions - I've got a B613, and several B7x series trucks; Harry B is modifying a B6x series to fit a large bore inline 6. We've been working the issue from a different angle, but could probably help you out if you decide to jump in!

Scott

Scott does your B613 have the wide rad? Some B61 had the wide or big rad. like the B75 or B73. I remember a B615 that had the V8 and wide rad. I aways wanted one of them so i could put a cummins in it and drop the floor pan down on the drivers side.

glenn akers

Scott does your B613 have the wide rad? Some B61 had the wide or big rad. like the B75 or B73. I remember a B615 that had the V8 and wide rad. I aways wanted one of them so i could put a cummins in it and drop the floor pan down on the drivers side.

Hi Glenn,

My B613 has the standard radiator, not the wide one like my B70's. Now that you mention it, it seems HarryB has a B615 and the photos he sent shows the wide radiator. Harry indicates that most of the B615's were sent to Australia, but I did see one on eBay that the guy thought it had a detroit in it (it may have been a V8 Mack). I'll attach a couple of photos of the eBay truck, but they aren't the greatest for size/resolution.

Will the hood, fenders, and radiator from a B75 interchange with a B61. That is, match up to the cab?

We can buy my old B61 back. It's not 20 miles from us. My son might like to fix up the old truck he was raised with.

Thanks,

Cayoterun

The cab is about 2 inches higher off the frame on on the models with the aluminum radiator,verses the tin shell. I have seen it done, aluminum radiator on a B 61, the hood slopes upto the radiator.

FW

The rad. you have there is what i was calling a wide rad. the average B61 rad. was smaller than that. but that will work on a B61 small rad if you have fender and head light panels. Has the air cleaner been taken of of that truck?

Glenn,

Those pictures are of the B615 I saw on eBay. It looks like the air cleaner has been removed; I can see a little bit of the cowl fitting...

My B613 has the tin cover over the radiator.

Fifth wheel, that's a good catch, I had never paid attention to cab height. I guess with the dropped floor on the B70 series cabs, you would need to raise it up. So the fender extensions do provide a vertical adjustment for the rear bolt pattern of the fenders. Now I gotta go look!

Scott

Thanks for all this help, and hope ya'll have patience.

He wants to put a B series on a late model running gear such as a Pete/w cat power, etc, for a working road truck.

The rear end of the hood, fender extentions on the long noses were what I was wondering if they would match the front of the B61 cab. We could have one complete running 61 and a parts 61 to work with if he used my old B61. Cab mounts and such would have to be made to get it all to sit on a late model frame. It may better to throw sentiment away and just get a B long nose, cab and all.

To switch subjects to Trannys for my V-12

#1: How heavy are duplex-triplex trannys? I need to hold weight down on this, because it'll be on a 1 ton frame and suspension. The V-12 weighs almost 1500# alone.

#2: Isn't a duplex just low and direct in the aux? Triplex is low-direct-high in aux?

#3: Are the gear ratios the same in the duplex and triplex main box?

Thanks again

Cayoterun

Edited by Cayoterun

He wants to put a B series on a late model running gear such as a Pete/w cat power, etc, for a working road truck.

The rear end of the hood, fender extentions on the long noses were what I was wondering if they would match the front of the B61 cab. We could have one complete running 61 and a parts 61 to work with if he used my old B61. Cab mounts and such would have to be made to get it all to sit on a late model frame. It may better to throw sentiment away and just get a B long nose, cab and all.

To switch subjects to Trannys for my V-12

#1: How heavy are duplex-triplex trannys? I need to hold weight down on this, because it'll be on a 1 ton frame and suspension. The V-12 weighs almost 1500# alone.

#2: Isn't a duplex just low and direct in the aux? Triplex is low-direct-high in aux?

#3: Are the gear ratios the same in the duplex and triplex main box?

Thanks again

Cayoterun

Now that i know what you guys are up to then there ant no reason that what work with the B75 hood and complete fron end and it will bolt to the B61 cab because the front is the same on both cabs. glenn

glenn akers