Exhaust Stacks

I'd like to be able to park my B under the mezzanine in my warehouse; it would just fit, except the exhaust stack is a little too high. It's just a straight pipe (no flapper or elbow at the top) and I'm considering shortening it to the height of the cab. Is this a bad idea? Will the cab roof get black, or the exhaust blow in the window, or otherwise make me wish I hadn't done this?

I'd like to be able to park my B under the mezzanine in my warehouse; it would just fit, except the exhaust stack is a little too high. It's just a straight pipe (no flapper or elbow at the top) and I'm considering shortening it to the height of the cab. Is this a bad idea? Will the cab roof get black, or the exhaust blow in the window, or otherwise make me wish I hadn't done this?

I know of a guy that does the same thing you wish to. He installed a piece of vibration isolating stainless pipe and literally unclips from the upper cab bracket, and "folds" his stack down to fit into his garage. This pipe I mention looks like the flexible coupling used in the exhaust of front wheel drive cars with transverse mounted engines. It is very flexible, but expensive.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have straight pipes on mine too, and even though they are quite taller then cab it does spit alot of stuff on the roof. I've been wanting to put turn outs back on it to get this problem solved, but I like the look of the straight tops. Guess I need to rebuild the motor to get rid of the oil/soot/crap from blowing out the pipes?

It used to be really bad when I parked outside and any kind of moisture built up in the stacks! The stuff would literally run down the windshield! Ugh.....glad it's inside now.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I like the idea of a bendable piece. I'll look into that.

I've had this truck in my paws for only a couple of days now. Last night I fired it up inside the warehouse to check a few things out, built up the air pressure etc. Maybe ran it for 5 minutes all told. When I was done the top 6 feet of the warehouse ceiling was full of black smoke! Jeez, my "little" trucks like my Dodge Power Wagon don't do that. This "B" is quite a fire-breathing dragon!

I like the idea of a bendable piece. I'll look into that.

I've had this truck in my paws for only a couple of days now. Last night I fired it up inside the warehouse to check a few things out, built up the air pressure etc. Maybe ran it for 5 minutes all told. When I was done the top 6 feet of the warehouse ceiling was full of black smoke! Jeez, my "little" trucks like my Dodge Power Wagon don't do that. This "B" is quite a fire-breathing dragon!

Yes sir, Black smoke is synonymous with Mack trucks! My building is a bit larger than a car garage but two to three minutes and you are ready to open a door!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 5 weeks later...