1967 10speed, Do You Shift Like A Spd Axle ? Reputation ?

m5040

In my search for a flatbed dump single axle, I have found a 67 R dump with a Mack ten speed trans, the owner says it is a maxidyne but he describes the trans with 1 countershaft. He says he shifts the trans like a 5 speed and only uses the aux for climbing a steep driveway etc. But reverse is in the 5speed pattern, so that tells me it is not a 6sp maxidyne. Can anyone shead more light on this ?

Edited by m5040

This sounds like a TRD series duplex transmission, which may have been available behind the early Maxidyne engines.

If that is the case - the transmission, if it is direct drive, is a ten speed gearbox. (the overdrive version only uses nine of the gear combinations).

It is shifted by splitting each of the forward five gears, if needed.

However, with the huge torque and the wider power band of the 237 Maxidyne compared to the 673 or 711 engines that preceded it, you probably do not need to split each gear, all the time. Indeed, one of the more common transmissions of that time for the Maxidyne was a straight five speed direct drive box.

For more information on TRD transmissions, go to www.oldmacksrus.com and you will find a wealth of good stuff!

There is a very good possibility that the gearbox is not original to that truck, or the engine is a transplant. It was pretty common to upgrade to the "new" Maxidyne engines.

Good Luck,

Paul Van Scott

Most likely the truck had a 711 diesel and later someone swapped it with a 237. The 10 speed duplex has 2 sticks the compound aka splitter stick is on the right and the main on the left. Old two sticks can be used behind the Maxidyne but you have be gentile when using it. Too many popped clutches, lugging and other abuse will surely lead to failure. But since you have a light single axle dump truck, it will be easy to treat that tranny gently and keep it going.

And as for shifting; yes its like a super 10 or a truck with a 2speed axle. 1st lo, hi - 2nd lo, hi etc...

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Most likely the truck had a 711 diesel and later someone swapped it with a 237. The 10 speed duplex has 2 sticks the compound aka splitter stick is on the right and the main on the left. Old two sticks can be used behind the Maxidyne but you have be gentile when using it. Too many popped clutches, lugging and other abuse will surely lead to failure. But since you have a light single axle dump truck, it will be easy to treat that tranny gently and keep it going.

And as for shifting; yes its like a super 10 or a truck with a 2speed axle. 1st lo, hi - 2nd lo, hi etc...

What happens if the driver is of some other religious persuasion?????

:lol: J/K Thad.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 4 weeks later...
The "unishift" was a 10 spd air split Duplex.

Larry ya took the words right outta my mouth brother ;)

IVE GOT THE 2 STICK 10SPD Duplex in "olddog" ITS HARD TO REMEMBER SOMETIMES REVERSE IS IN THE MAIN STICK & NOT THE COMPOUND & I DONT HAVE 5 REVERSES IN THE B Model compared to a 2 STICK 6SPD Reverse is in the Compound & not the main & i have 5 reverses in the DM I drive ;):pat:

The ole Duplex 10spd is a tranny that will pull the guts out ;)

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: