Got Another One

What happened to the barrel?

Looks like an old Rinker truck

you got that right I'd almost be willing to put money on that it use to be Rinker. Remember when they had a few Dmm's and the old Cornbinders with the screamin deamons in them

It is a former Rinker truck out of Florida that was part of the CEMEX-Rinker Materials purchase a few years ago. Ready Mix USA is part of CEMEX. They have removed all of the tire inflation/traction systems off of all these trucks. Some of the barrels we are going to repaint - some they are going to replace with new barrels. Can do a much better sand blasting job with the barrels off.

What do use use for a blasting process and media? I've read a bunch of information about the dustless blasting equipment out of Texas. I think it's a sweet system but the cost of the unit is above my pay grade I'm affraid. I'd be interested to know your thoughts and processes. Please post the after shots when you get there.

Thanks

Greg

WE sub out the sand blasting to a local guy here who does a good job for us. WE have a sand blaster unit and looked into doing it ourselves, but environmental issues and compliance challenges ended that project. WE demostrated a "soda" blaster, but just did not have the necessary abrasiveness we need to properly prepare frames, dump bodies etc for painting. If you don't get the surfaces really clean and free from all old paint, rust etc. the paint won't adhere properly and you will get comebacks.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving along - frame completely painted - getting cab ready - will be painted a Dupont Industrial White. Sand blasting on this truck was $2500, total price will be $10,500 for the complete truck including barrel. Sounds like a lot, but that is truly a great price - lots of labor, materials and preparation to make this truck look great!

post-2447-0-75606000-1382368468_thumb.jp

post-2447-0-96105200-1382368475_thumb.jp

post-2447-0-13009900-1382368482_thumb.jp

post-2447-0-91010500-1382368489_thumb.jp

They are putting new barrels on all these trucks which will not require sand blasting- sand blasting price was for the frame and the mixer pedestal. Again seems expensive, but it is a lot of hard and hot work sand blasting heavy duty equipment that many times has been painted multiple times.

• 3 weeks later...