Dump trucks

countryboy5487

Is that a 988B, old machine there, pretty slow loading out trucks, they are solid performers though. I think almost all the quarries around here have 980G-H size loaders for the yard work and 988F-G or 990's in the pit loading haul trucks.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Sweet, most of the old stuff is long gone around here, its just too slow for em to load however many tons per hour they want to load. I remember Hurst had 3 or 4 old 988b's and c's they were neat old machines that would run for ever but they got sold off like everything else, I thin k the oldest loader in a quarry around herre is Hoovers 988F, I think its the newest version of the old 988 frame, it looks nearly identical to the one in your pic but the newer CAT paint job and its on joystick controls inside no steering wheel, I think they got it when the 988G series came out as a new old stock loader.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I do not know about today as I am not in the dump truck business any more but back in the day they had been a dump truck loading sob. All the pits in and around the area had 988b's 1 or 2 had a 980 and then you started seeing Komatsu's

• Like 1

I do not know about today as I am not in the dump truck business any more but back in the day they had been a dump truck loading sob. All the pits in and around the area had 988b's 1 or 2 had a 980 and then you started seeing Komatsu's

I think the 988's were king until the 980G models came out, they were so much faster and more precise than a 988 they could load trucks out faster even with a smaller bucket. There are some Komatsus around here too, i dont know theyre numbers, WA500 and WA600 seem to stick in my mind, basically the same size as the 980G series but most I have seen have been joystick control machines. I think I remember being loaded by the 988C's with two buckets and they would be close but the guys that loaded two good buckets and one smaller bucket got your weight closer, the 980G's and H's are the same 3 buckets and your gone with 24 tons, theyre just quicker back and forth to the pile and seem to keep your weight closer to gross than the older 88's. I wish theyre were more old CAT loaders around here, the sound of the V8 engines was awesome, the newer loaders are all 6 cylinders with emissions and quiet mufflers, they suck.

I think the 988's were king until the 980G models came out, they were so much faster and more precise than a 988 they could load trucks out faster even with a smaller bucket. There are some Komatsus around here too, i dont know theyre numbers, WA500 and WA600 seem to stick in my mind, basically the same size as the 980G series but most I have seen have been joystick control machines. I think I remember being loaded by the 988C's with two buckets and they would be close but the guys that loaded two good buckets and one smaller bucket got your weight closer, the 980G's and H's are the same 3 buckets and your gone with 24 tons, theyre just quicker back and forth to the pile and seem to keep your weight closer to gross than the older 88's. I wish theyre were more old CAT loaders around here, the sound of the V8 engines was awesome, the newer loaders are all 6 cylinders with emissions and quiet mufflers, they suck.

I always thought the 988's sounded funny as hell. My how times change. Just to hear a big bore V-8 now a days