2010-12 Granite dump Automatics vs Manual

Yes I'm about ready to buy me a newer Truck looking at Mack Granite 2010-12. A Tri or Quad and was thinking about getting an Automatic and was wondering what you guys think vs a manual? I will mostly use truck for Milling, black top, dirt, and Gravel. So I will probably get a steel bed! But I'm willing to take any suggestions on truck set up (bed, tarp, tire size, rear end, suspension set up! Many thanks!

The up charge is about 10 k

I watched a vid on a dump truck company who switched to the Allison's and the owner claimed the auto's brought up production and they were getting an extra load in a day with them. 10k isn't bad if you could pull this off. Of course this vid was one of Allison's, so who know's if thats true. I think there would be to many variable's to factor in.

When think auto in a big truck i automatically think of the old 4spd allisons. But the new autos do very well, a local excavating company went to all autos and i know a guy that works for him and he had the same thought i did but he said he was suprised at how nice the were in a dump truck. And ever sence they quit breaking rears, drive shafts, and u joints plus he said in getting in and oult of places to dump and get loaded it was nice. Personally i like my gears and shifter. But i know if i ever would buy trucks for other people to drive theyd be autos. Also there is a youtube video by allison that shows two granites in a pea gravel pit the truck with the standard started hopping and got stuck the auto truck hooked to him and pulled him out. I was impressed with it.

I would get a granite 427 13 or 18 speed with 5.02 rear end gears so you can still dig low and crawl without killing the clutch and also have a nice tall top gear to stretch her legs on the big road. I like 50 rears so you aren't killing those 44 s when the training wheels are up, also the third axle has to be steerable it's a Must. All aluminum wheels, tanks with some chrome upfront. For a body I would run a beu roc diamond with barn door and electric roll rite tarp.

When think auto in a big truck i automatically think of the old 4spd allisons. But the new autos do very well, a local excavating company went to all autos and i know a guy that works for him and he had the same thought i did but he said he was suprised at how nice the were in a dump truck. And ever sence they quit breaking rears, drive shafts, and u joints plus he said in getting in and oult of places to dump and get loaded it was nice. Personally i like my gears and shifter. But i know if i ever would buy trucks for other people to drive theyd be autos. Also there is a youtube video by allison that shows two granites in a pea gravel pit the truck with the standard started hopping and got stuck the auto truck hooked to him and pulled him out. I was impressed with it.

How does Allison do on a hill?

We do blacktop, milling, gravel, dirt, fly ash... If you plan on getting paid by the ton go with the aluminum bed. If you mostly get paid by the hour go with whichever bed is cheaper.

Tri or quad? If paid by tonnage go with the quad.

Automatic or Standard? Whichever u feel most comfortable with.. Either will do the job but you are the one that has to live with it 3000hrs a year in that seat.

Quiet? you can make any older truck quieter with dynamat and a better exhaust.

Tarp? if you haul blacktop do they require slide tarps? Either way I prefer mountain tarp..excellent service and products.

Tires? if this is your only truck either 22.5 or 24.5, but if you plan on getting others its easier to keep them the same so that you dont have a bunch of spares

Since you are shopping for a used truck a few yrs old, you are probably not going to find the exact perfect setup...

If it were me i would choose a pre-def (2009 and older) 427 8LL 4:42 rears, camelback, alfab/benson/rhodes aluminum bed 18ft.

Thanks for the detailed info! I've been driving for about 3 years had a few older Rd's and one Cl-713 "99" with the e460! I've decided after drivers abuse slow my roll and to sell all equipment and get me one newer one and put my hide in that seat for a year! Work hard and then get another newer one and find a good driver! Right now I'd like to stay in the $130k range! Also I'm really thinking of getting a Automatic with at least 405hp! I'm in Ohio so I think a steel bed would be best so if things get slow on the blacktop at least ill be ready to do anything (demo) if needed to make that payment! I've kind of been learning by trail and error being that I've had no teacher I thank God I found this website so I can learn the correct way to be successful in the dump business!

The only thing I can say is make sure it burns the DEF. They started using it in 10 sometime. The MP8 motors seem to be doing alright but there are some issues with truck components. If possible get a horton air engage engine fan clutch. The 08 to 10 with the DPF and no DEF will cost you a fortune to keep on the road especially if in severe duty service. The camelback suspension with the greasable brass trunnion is also something to stay away from. They went back to the rubber trunnion sometime in 11. Another Volvo deal where there was nothing wrong with their design, so they say, but then went back to old style that works.

Edited by bjcalhoun

No problem on a hill its like driving a car u will not be disappointed with an allison

Does this sound good? 2012 Mack GU713 --- Tri Axle, MP7 Mack 405 HP, Allison Automatic, 4.50 Ratio, 18,000 Front Axle, 46,000 Rear Axle, 222" Wheelbase, 20' 7" Bridge, Camelback, Thick Frame, 2 Stage Engine Brake, Air Brake, Differential Lock, 16' HARDOX STEEL OX Dump Body, 60" Sides, High Lift Gate, Air Gate, Electric Tarp, Steel Front Wheels, Single Stack, Aluminum Fuel Tank, Daylite Doors, Peep Window, Air Ride Cab, High Level Interior, Chrome Gauge Package, Heated Mirrors, Cruise Control, Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel, AM/FM CD, P/S, AC. Price is $139k

The only thing I can say is make sure it burns the DEF. They started using it in 10 sometime. The MP8 motors seem to be doing alright but there are some issues with truck components. If possible get a horton air engage engine fan clutch. The 08 to 10 with the DPF and no DEF will cost you a fortune to keep on the road especially if in severe duty service. The camelback suspension with the greasable brass trunnion is also something to stay away from. They went back to the rubber trunnion sometime in 11. Another Volvo deal where there was nothing wrong with their design, so they say, but then went back to old style that works.

2012 Mack GU713 --- Tri Axle, MP7 Mack 405 HP, Allison Automatic, 4.50 Ratio, 18,000 Front Axle, 46,000 Rear Axle, 222" Wheelbase, 20' 7" Bridge, Camelback, Thick Frame, 2 Stage Engine Brake, Air Brake, Differential Lock, 16' HARDOX STEEL OX Dump Body, 60" Sides, High Lift Gate, Air Gate, Electric Tarp, Steel Front Wheels, Single Stack, Aluminum Fuel Tank, Daylite Doors, Peep Window, Air Ride Cab, High Level Interior, Chrome Gauge Package, Heated Mirrors, Cruise Control, Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel, AM/FM CD, P/S, AC.

post-15067-0-50896200-1379535252_thumb.j

its not bad but u can probably get a new 2014 granite with your spec and automatic for 30k more with a new truck waranty, ur color,

This one comes with 150k mile warranty on #7 injector and 500k mile warranty on all major components.

Do you think I should wait a few more months of running and go new? What type of warranty comes on new truck?