Boost pressure for E9

ws721

Dead on, my 84 440hp made 22 stock, cranked the pump 10% it made 25-26, swapped the turbo for the 530hp euro turbo and got it up to about 28-30. I make 24 on my 85 450hp engine bobtail now but the pump is a little hot and I plan to swap injectors and turbo soon as above. (Got some injectors from Rays hot rod service)

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Hmm. I thought mine had low boost. It only does @17 psi. Thanks for the info. I have checked for leaks. Elimanted the puff elimantor. IT doesn't smoke under load. lol, I must have the only E9 that would pass emissions!

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

17 stock bobtail ain't far off, mine wasn't far from that, is it 17 loaded?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The book says 13-21 for an E9-400, 17-25 for an EC9-400 so your in range for a stock engine actually. I can tell ya how to turn up the governor on the pump.

That pressure is under load. Only runs about 750 to 800 on the pyrometer. Sounds like im closer than I thought. I would like to get more out of the ole girl. It only has 206000 original miles. Problem is my younger brother {who is bigger than me} has an Astro with a B.C. Cummins that whoops up on me. Very disheartening. Lol. These trucks only put on around 10,000 miles a year & im kinda a performance nut. I want the engine to produce what its potential is and get mpg. The MAck gets @6.1 mpg. I think that's fair for an old COE pulling dropdeck, hauling logs and chips at @95,000 gross. So yes you're advice on getting a little more power would be nice. This is my first E9. I do love that set you in seat tourque .

Well here we go, on an E9 with an Ambac pump there is a rectangle plate with 6 bolts on the rear top of the pump this is the governor housing, there should be a lock wire thru a couple of the bolts but unless you have a seriously extended warranty thats nothing you need. Cut the lockwire off and remove the 6 bolts and then the top of the governor housing, inside there is a bolt eith two nuts right on top, this is the high speed fuel stop, you want to move it toward the front of the engine, back off the jam nut on the back of the stop and tighten the nut in front until you move the stop forward (toward the front of the engine) then snug the rear jam nut, most people say to try a round then adjust more if desired, I say to try about 3-4 turns at a time then adjust as desired. Once thats done go to the back of the governor housing, there is a pipe plug with a lock wire thru it, should be the same lock wire as the top, remove that plug and if you look in from the top youll see an allen set screw in the middle of the fuel governor lever that will be just inside of the plug hole this is the droop screw or mid range fuel adjustment. Using an allen wrench loosen (counterclockwise) that set screw about two turns at a time till you get the desired effect mine is pretty much maxed out on both adjustments and my puff limiter is gone, I get all kinds of black smoke when I want it now and it will pull just about anything, if you still want more power I have the p/n for a couple of turbos you can get that will really give you some more power and then you can always get a set of injectors from Antrim Diesel in PA, they use the Au 610hp nozzles adn then extrude hone them to whatever you want, supposedly a 20% over pump with 25% over injectors and their 80mm Borg Warner turbo will do 800-900rwhp, thats putting you around 1000hp and 3000lbft on the flywheel and your clutch WILL die young just ask MHE9. Hope that helps it should get you some more power and scare that Cummins a little, I can give you the numbers for the parts you need to walk away from the Cummins on any hill if you want em just pm me.

LOL!! Thankyou. I will do some "shade tree" adjustments. We just wont tell my brother, let him find out when we do our next loads out of northern Maine. Cummins we can tune, even the old 2 stroke joke Detroits. WE have a couple of VERY nice running Detroits. I'll try that & let ya know what happens. Thanks again. I'll have to try & get a pic of the ole girl on here.

• Like 1