Head gasket or a cylinder liner , Mack 460 e tech 2001

stanisicb

Can somebody help me out to determine if i got a blown headgasket or is it a cylinder liner? I have a mack cl 713 dump truck 2001, mack 460 e7 with 21000 hrs and 380 ooo miles, anyways i had a driver on the truck and he called and he said that engine shotdown came one for about 10 sec and it was gone , i didnt think it was a big deal becuase gages on the truck sometimes go crayze, anyways ten minutes later he calls me again he tells me the truck idiles rough, so i told him to take it to a delership, on the way to dealership coolant temp begun going up he shout her off, i checked coolant and i added about gallon, i checked oil and it was above full there was no sludge on cap, i put my finger in the blowby and it felt like coolant. I waited for the truck truck to cool off and i took it to a dealership,(2 miles away) the truck didnt overheat but i had to stop like 3 times to let it cool off, st the dealership they said they cant look at it till mondey, so i am just wondering if someone can tell me if its head gasket or cylinder liner'?

having to stop to let it cool off i wonder if your fan is running, or your water pump is bad and it overheated and cracked a head. 9 out of 10 times a truck with a bad head gasket, oil cooler or liner seals will run for a while and they dont really get hotter than usual so it seems something else is going on and that lead to the water in oil. Im not there and I cant see or hear the truck but I would check the fan and water pump first for proper operation and then the oil cooler for water in oil. If it got hot due to a fan inop and the driver kept going and got it real hot in a pull it could have cracked a head and that could lead to water in oil, I dont see it as being a water pump issue since its pressurizing en ough to get water in the oil and it seems hard to believe that it was initially a liner or head gasket issue with the symptoms you are describing. basically we need more info.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Well being a electronic engine it should shut off before it can damage anything that bad. I know when our RD had radiator problems it would get a little hot and shut right down. As for oil cooler oil pressure is greater than water therefore oil would be in water not the other way around. Take off the pan and pressurize the coolant system.

• Like 2

Matt

Mmm, steam in blowby and white smoke = head gasket more than likely in an etech, if it was liner seals it wouldn't get in the cylinder just the oil pan.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 1 month later...

This truck is running a average of 18 miles an hour. Trucks running this average do require more maintenance. Electrolysis is a big issue, check your pH and nitrates in the coolant every oil change. Oil should be changed by hours not miles. 300 hours. Sounds almost like your cylinder liner is dropping in your block a little.