Torque Rod

mackr688

I have a camelback suspension on my 87 R, my front driver always hangs to the left about 2 inches further than it should, the rear is fine and doesn't walk at all, my bushing are good and everything is tight except for the front torque rod going to the cross member above the trunnion. How much does the torque rod keep things aligned, if i replace will it help ?

The torque rod prevents the rear from twisting up or down not side to side, if your front rear is moving out of line side to side most likley the trunnion bushing are worn.Worn isolator pads will also allow some movement but not that much unless there really shot.

I have a camelback suspension on my 87 R, my front driver always hangs to the left about 2 inches further than it should, the rear is fine and doesn't walk at all, my bushing are good and everything is tight except for the front torque rod going to the cross member above the trunnion. How much does the torque rod keep things aligned, if i replace will it help ?

I had the trunnion bushings replaced last spring, but doesnt mean there right. Is that normal for just the front driver to do it worst than the rear ?

Both rears normally move about the same when the bushings are bad, if you had them replaced then the bar it self could have been worn to much, who ever did the job should have checked the bar and saddles to see if they were within spec. One way to check is to jack up the truck one side at a time put the jack under the trunnion bar not the spring saddle, get a big pry bar inbetween the top of the spring and the frame and see of the spring has any movement. If your old bushings were worn all the way through then there is a good chance that the bar and the saddles were worn also.

Does your truck have the transverse torque rod on the rear drive axle?

If so, that's why the rear axle is staying in line while the front one is moving sideways.

In any case there has to be looseness somewhere that is causing this, either in the trunnion bushings or the spring box pads.

Also, there are spring box pads with offset dowels to change the axle alignment if needed.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I'm sorry what do u mean by transverse

A transverse torque rod attaches to a bracket on the rear drive axle housing and is also attached to the right side frame rail to prevent sideways movement of the axle.

If all parts of the suspension are in good condition, this prevents the entire tandem from moving sideways, but if the trunnion bushings and spring box pads are worn then even though the rear axle is held straight, the front drive axle can still move around.

In trucks with the pressed steel rear axle housings and the transverse torque rod, there is a high incidence of a cracked axle housing on the left side in the area where the differential bolts into the "banjo" housing, due to the sideways loading imposed by the transverse torque rod. The first symptom of a cracked axle housing due to this scenario is an oil leak on the left side at the interface of the differential housing and the axle housing.

Thanks for explaining that for me, no it does not have a transverse torque rod just front to rear on both.

What is the best way to jack up the springs, or hold them in place to remove the rubber pads ? I know its not a fun job, but the parts are cheap, the labor is what hurts. I have done tougher jobs just dont like doing anything without having an idea how to do it.

you could have a broken main leaf in your spring, with the top sattle the way it is made it is hard to tell look at each end of the spring and see if can see the T leaf rubbing anywhere. if your pads are tight then you could have a broken spring. Ron

Thanks for explaining that for me, no it does not have a transverse torque rod just front to rear on both.

What is the best way to jack up the springs, or hold them in place to remove the rubber pads ? I know its not a fun job, but the parts are cheap, the labor is what hurts. I have done tougher jobs just dont like doing anything without having an idea how to do it.

Here's a previous thread on this subject:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=2542

Hope this helps.