I have a 1980 R 686st with the camelback suspension under it, and the axles, bags and leafs from a 1996 CH 613. I guess my question is, can I adapt the air ride to the R model frame or do I have to graft the frame rails from the CH to the R model frame rails? I'm also going to stretch the frame a foot or two, once I get it done, I will post some before and after pics.

I have a 94' RD that came from the factory with air ride. Between the frame rails and the hangers there is a 1/8 of plate to take up the difference because the CH frame sits a 1/4 inch wider. We also have a 80' R770 that was put on air ride and it is done the same way.

I put the axles and suspension from a 2000 CH under the back of my Superliner we fanned up a pair of cross members like a New way uses and used the Mack 2 piece crossmembers every where else I had to shim them a fair bit of drilling involved. I used a step drill and finished with a 5/8 reamer.

post-814-0-33955300-1373512316_thumb.jpg

post-814-0-39537400-1373512339_thumb.jpg

post-814-0-59717200-1373512362_thumb.jpg

post-814-0-27239200-1373512383_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I put the axles and suspension from a 2000 CH under the back of my Superliner we fanned up a pair of cross members like a New way uses and used the Mack 2 piece crossmembers every where else I had to shim them a fair bit of drilling involved. I used a step drill and finished with a 5/8 reamer.

Your project looks great. I have an R-model that I hope to be doing about the same thing to soon.

I didn't have to shim the hangers because the CH had 1/4" frame rails and the Superliner frame rails were 3/8" plus the hangers slide on the leaf spring ends. I just had to shim the 2 piece crossmembers, according just using flat steel plate between the rail and the ends of he crossmembers.

:twothumbsup: Very nice Liner!