B67 Home Made Air Ride

Ok from what I gahter you replaced the spring shackle and that connects to those air bags. Looks like that Superide spring to air ride kit. Did you use any kind of shocks or torque rod to keep those air bags stable? Looks good so far.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

By the looks of it Thaddeus, the plate that holds the rear spring mounts, is a snug fit to outside of frame, thus there is no chance of walking sideways. Not sure about front/back? The pics don't show enough details, but I assume it is locked from any movement other then up/down.

Very nice job Tom! I kinda like to see some real drawings to it also. Might be better then my cut up spring pack.

I assume since there is no ride height control, that is the reason for no real weight can be added(hauling a trailer)?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Tom, Looks great and you get A+ for creativity. I did the air ride bit by removing the old Camel back tandem, and grafting the rear axel from an IH Transtar air ride system to my frame. It makes it a full air ride with hight control etc. Really was a very simple swap.

Good job, I admire creative people. Gus

Tom, Looks great and you get A+ for creativity. I did the air ride bit by removing the old Camel back tandem, and grafting the rear axel from an IH Transtar air ride system to my frame. It makes it a full air ride with hight control etc. Really was a very simple swap.

Sorry about the drawings guys - I use the DAG method - Design As you Go. Weld little bit here, if too long, cut off - if too short, weld little more on! Works every time and doesn't require a ##&%!!$! computer.

Larry, you are correct about the lateral movement - it is stopped by the lack of clearance between the plates. Movement parallel with frame is controlled by original Mack design (torque leaf in spring stack - remember, both spring hangers are slipper type).

Now, vertical movement - this is the part the pics don't show. Frame down to axle is limited by the bumpers inside the air bags. Frame up away from the axle is limited by piece of vertical 3/4" key stock welded to plate that replaces the spring hanger and horiziontal 3/4" key welded to bracket that covers the end of spring. Now, the air bag is stabalized by 2 vertical 3/4" key welded to bracket that covers the end of spring (these 2 pieces of key straddle the key welded to plate that replaces the spring hanger). Got everybody confused???? If you could see the

back side of the bracket that covers the end of the spring, you would see an upside down U made of 3/4" key. Kinda getting the idea now??

If I put a trailer on this truck, there is flexing in the channel that the air bags sit on and there is flexing in the bar stock where it meets the bracket that covers the end of spring. The cure for this ----- channel that air bags sit on needs to be an I or H beam and H beam instead of vertical bar stock up to bracket that covers the end of spring. These changes would cure the DAG problem and we could go trailering. But I never pull a trailer with this truck so there you go.

Over & Out from the Ridge

Tom

Sorry about the drawings guys - I use the DAG method - Design As you Go. Weld little bit here, if too long, cut off - if too short, weld little more on! Works every time and doesn't require a ##&%!!$! computer.

Larry, you are correct about the lateral movement - it is stopped by the lack of clearance between the plates. Movement parallel with frame is controlled by original Mack design (torque leaf in spring stack - remember, both spring hangers are slipper type).

Now, vertical movement - this is the part the pics don't show. Frame down to axle is limited by the bumpers inside the air bags. Frame up away from the axle is limited by piece of vertical 3/4" key stock welded to plate that replaces the spring hanger and horiziontal 3/4" key welded to bracket that covers the end of spring. Now, the air bag is stabalized by 2 vertical 3/4" key welded to bracket that covers the end of spring (these 2 pieces of key straddle the key welded to plate that replaces the spring hanger). Got everybody confused???? If you could see the

back side of the bracket that covers the end of the spring, you would see an upside down U made of 3/4" key. Kinda getting the idea now??

If I put a trailer on this truck, there is flexing in the channel that the air bags sit on and there is flexing in the bar stock where it meets the bracket that covers the end of spring. The cure for this ----- channel that air bags sit on needs to be an I or H beam and H beam instead of vertical bar stock up to bracket that covers the end of spring. These changes would cure the DAG problem and we could go trailering. But I never pull a trailer with this truck so there you go.

Over & Out from the Ridge

Tom