1966-67 Maxi trans.

Back in the early 70's a company I worked for had two DM 600's with 237's and (hears where I need help) the Maxi. trans. in one had the side stick for just a lo lo and rev. and the other one had the short stick that was an overdrive and could only be shifted when you were in 5th. These trucks were early Maxidyne's maybe 66 or 67's with gold Bulldogs on the rad's they had roll-offs on them and I would work for this guy in the winter when the concrete was slow. These were awsome trucks!! I have never seen this trans in a Mack, I think they where cast iron?? do any of you guys know these trans.?

BULLHUSK

I've seen both versions,as I recall,the first you mentioned didn't have reverse on the 2nd stick,but in fact locked the main so it could only be shifted from 1st to reverse,giving creeper gear for each.These were the forerunners of the more popular version of the 6 speed that had lo.direct and reverse on the 2nd stick and actually allowed you to have 5 reverse gears.

I've seen both versions,as I recall,the first you mentioned didn't have reverse on the 2nd stick,but in fact locked the main so it could only be shifted from 1st to reverse,giving creeper gear for each.These were the forerunners of the more popular version of the 6 speed that had lo.direct and reverse on the 2nd stick and actually allowed you to have 5 reverse gears.

You are right it did lock out 2 thru 5 and just LO LO and LO rev. I liked that trans better then the newer ones! I think the truck had 5.13 or 03 rears and did 60 mph flat out with 22 in rubber. The truck with the OD did 70 mph I only got to drive that a couple of times as that truck had a steady driver but couldn't make it to work on Friday (day after pay day) so I would jump in and make the day! Yes the good old days! The garbage co had all the Two Guys stores in Jersey and I never had to buy toys or soap or just about anything sold retail!! We would just pick through the loads and come up with gold! Never bought Beer, they would dump the over and unders on the dump and all you had to do is pick it! P.B.R in Newark Rheingold in NY and Orange NJ all the beer co dumped in Jersey

BULLHUSK

• 2 weeks later...

Ernie,

My cousin had 2 '69 DM's with that trans in them.A buddy of mine has a real nice '68 R685T ,also with that trans. Al post-510-0-00534300-1369796424_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA