Mack toploader's ?

Well I was told that ALL "Mack" branded axles had carrier's that were all Meritor's ? !

Now as for toploaders vs frontloaders:

Topload's are double and triple reduction ? ! front loads are single reduction ? ! So ain't that an apples and oranges comparison ? !

More moving parts = faster wearing or so I'm told.

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

A comparison between "front loaders" and "top loaders". Also remember, all similarly rated axles are not created equal. All three manufactures mentioned offer different versions of the same weight rated axles. There are different housing thicknesses, different housing materials, and different gross combination weight rated carriers (gear sets). So keep that in mind when you do comparisons.

post-2383-0-15419200-1366762379_thumb.jp

• Like 2

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Bullhusk (Ernie) what does your Page+Page Suspension look like in your R-700 V-12 Detroit ? I have a 1970 KW W900 with Page +Page called Huskey. It looks like a Camelback Mack but u-bolts are mounted at an angle instead of straight up and down.It has rubber bushings not bronze and is rated 44,000 lbs. with Rockwell STRR 44,000 lb. top load rears,5.78 ratio, 4X4 trans overdrive in aux. only tops out about 57 I was told. There were never many Page+Page in my area that I remember.Joe D.

Yes it has dial-a ride marked on it, as far as parts go I havn't needed any yet but when I do I send it over to my spring guy (Jensen& Mitchel) in JC NJ and he knows all the parts places. As far as when they went out? I don't know. What the hell does dial-a-ride mean anyway???

BULLHUSK PS the truck is a 1971

It is the same, but it has 4 airbags with a knob inside the cab with a gauge that had Dial-Ride on it, i guess you dial what kind of ride you want. it still has the 2 springs with an airbag on each end, mine is 38000#. a guy had a picture of one in some of the Wheels Of Time in the back.

• 3 weeks later...

My 79 R 797S is all Mack but it has Hendrickson RT440 suspension. I guess thats why she ain't no gold dog.

The story on my 2 797's is that they were ordered to be logging trucks and was on their way west and the guy backed out on them. So they were sold here in Kansas City and spent their life here. The company my Dad worked for had two Autocars ordered with 445hp 8V-92s in them but bought these 2 797's instead.

Keep in mind that 34000,38000, and 44000, all used the same carrier, at least that is what my Mack literature says from 1977.

Edited by TimFBsucker