Mack toploader's ?

I was over dropping my GU off for service at the dealer, and was parked beside a brand new cabover rear load trash truck chassis with top loaders in it.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

The 1940s ? ! Is it that good ? ! Or just cheap to build ? ! I figured they'd of updated them at some piont, Maybe still offering optional toploader's with some sort of modernized suspension ? !

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

How is Macks toploads versus Rockwells toploads ? !

I was told the Mack's were about the same maybe slightly stronger mechanically (gear drive section) but a lot stronger structurally (axle housing higher GVW) ? !

Though I also got told for 50s-70s Mack axles were top notch, than by the 80s and 90s they were about the same as everyone else's axles all the way through, and by the early/mid 2000s they were just Merit/Rockwell brand axles with a Mack brand tag installed on them ? !

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

our experience i hate to say meritor/rockwell 46k lb rears hold up better than mack 50k lb rears. the mack ones only last about 300k miles and we have rockwell front load rears with over 500k miles on them without being rebuilt.

If it ain't broke why fix it???? Except for there power divider I don't think we have ever changed one! We always ordered them with the power divider lock out, as far as the other mfg.'s I don't know of any that make top loaders anymore they now make a double RR that is front mounted, and cost a lot more then a Mack rear when ordering a new Mack truck! Don't know why you would want to put other rears in a Mack anyway?? My RL700L with the V-12-71 is Detroit, Fuller, Page&Page, the only thing that is Mack is the Mack top loader rears, and for that I am happy!!

BULLHUSK

You like that Detroit 71-Series diesel ? ! Been my experience they leaked massive amounts of oil ! So I tended to avoid them at all costs in my personal vehicles I hate oil leaks.

I was under the impression Rockwell axles went obsolete in about 2001 ? ! I was also under the impression that the Mack axles aren't Mack's but rebadged Meritor axles in new truck of today ? !

Even the Military seems to have started shifting over to front loads about 1977 and by '93 or so were running all front loaded axles even the A3 2.5tons are front loaders and well even Independent suspended on some the later model medium duty grade trucks.

Speaking of mil-spec, The 5ton Mack trucks seemed more sought after than the 5ton Jeeps and AM Generals. Most liked the Mack 673 over the Cummins 250 those were the guys saying the Mack built 5ton was even better than the Mack powered 5ton as it had all Mack running gear, transmission, T-Case, and axles.

It was mainly the Mil-Spec guys that were saying the Mack 6by topload axles were better than the Rockwell 5ton axles used by REO, Diamond-T, Studebaker, Jeep and AM General ect ect brands.

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

we've had several macks with 44 and 50k lb mack rears and the front rear always blows up around 300k miles on a new truck after we put a new rebuilt in they only last 150 to 200k miles. the meritor/rockwell and even eaton rears we have in western stars and macks we have never had to do a rearend job on. and some of them have over 500k miles. the back rears on a mack top loader seem to run longer as much as 700k miles.

Are these Eaton and Meritor topload axles ? ! If not they are irrelevant to the question asked. I am NOT comparing frontloads to toploads, I AM doing TOPLOAD vs TOPLOAD.

I have never once seen nor heard of an Eaton topload, So if they exist pleas do tell about them. I run low gearing 5.13-12.55:1 so 300K much less 700K miles I think will never happen. If I can get half those miles from an engine I am doing really good these days ;o)

I'm currently running a '62 GMC with 5.13s and 245/70R19.5G's 60mph@3,000rpm, and a '53 REO with 6.72s running 11.00-20F's cranking 58mph@3,000rpm. Now those are gasser's. The diesel trucks I been looking at will have either 6.38s in Mack axles or 6.44s in Rockwell axles with 11 or 12 R24.5s so 55-65mph@2,000rpm.

So it more about strength than longevity as no matter who made the axle its going to wear fast ;o)

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

You like that Detroit 71-Series diesel ? ! Been my experience they leaked massive amounts of oil ! So I tended to avoid them at all costs in my personal vehicles I hate oil leaks.

I was under the impression Rockwell axles went obsolete in about 2001 ? ! I was also under the impression that the Mack axles aren't Mack's but rebadged Meritor axles in new truck of today ? !

Even the Military seems to have started shifting over to front loads about 1977 and by '93 or so were running all front loaded axles even the A3 2.5tons are front loaders and well even Independent suspended on some the later model medium duty grade trucks.

Speaking of mil-spec, The 5ton Mack trucks seemed more sought after than the 5ton Jeeps and AM Generals. Most liked the Mack 673 over the Cummins 250 those were the guys saying the Mack built 5ton was even better than the Mack powered 5ton as it had all Mack running gear, transmission, T-Case, and axles.

It was mainly the Mil-Spec guys that were saying the Mack 6by topload axles were better than the Rockwell 5ton axles used by REO, Diamond-T, Studebaker, Jeep and AM General ect ect brands.

Mike

I always liked and ran Detroit power, but when ever I bought a Mack I always went Mack all the way. If you geared one of the older truck's with a Detroit 71 Series they would run and I have ran V12-71's with 4.56 rears and 13-overs and they ran just as good as any 1693 0r KT 450's of the day ! But with that being said...... ya had to know how to drive one and keep your RPM'S between 18 an 2300 if you tried to run them any lower you were cooked! I would think that Mack would farm out there rear end mfg. to there spec, it would be good busn.

BULLHUSK

What I'd like to do one day is take an ENDT-676, Mack 7spd, Mack Tcase, and ideally Mack axles. Than build my own version of the M52a1 called project "M52a3" the truck that should have been instead of the M52a2 or M818 truck tractors. Taking an M52xx 5ton tractor stuffing in all Mack 676/7spd/Tcase/Axles guts ;o)

Curiosity got to me when I saw a late model Mack with toploaded rears ends. Now only thing I haven't seen is a modern era Mack 6x6 tractor I'm guessing all wheel drive or 6x6 Mack's have went obsolete ? !

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

New Mack rear carriers are built by Meritor. We've changed rear ratio's on some new trucks. They had axle shaft sliding clutch lockers on both left side shafts and 3 5/8 12 point mounting bolts inside the side cover. I don't know any specs, just the visible differences from swapping.

Well Mack did stuff in house for what 70 to 90 years ? ! So farming some of it out was a spread the money around move ? ! Or was it a cost effective move, Cheaper to buy than design build update ? !

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

If it ain't broke why fix it???? Except for there power divider I don't think we have ever changed one! We always ordered them with the power divider lock out, as far as the other mfg.'s I don't know of any that make top loaders anymore they now make a double RR that is front mounted, and cost a lot more then a Mack rear when ordering a new Mack truck! Don't know why you would want to put other rears in a Mack anyway?? My RL700L with the V-12-71 is Detroit, Fuller, Page&Page, the only thing that is Mack is the Mack top loader rears, and for that I am happy!!

BULLHUSK

BULLHUSK what year is your RL, does it have the Page & Page Dial-A-Ride. i have a 72 RS700L795 that has the Dial-A-Ride. do you know when Page & Page went out of business, can you still get parts for them. Ron

So basically these "Gold dog" Macks are pretty much obsolete ? ! When did they start gold dog even ? !

All the B and R models I've seen that were all Mack got silver/chrome dog's on them anyway . . .

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

BULLHUSK what year is your RL, does it have the Page & Page Dial-A-Ride. i have a 72 RS700L795 that has the Dial-A-Ride. do you know when Page & Page went out of business, can you still get parts for them. Ron

Yes it has dial-a ride marked on it, as far as parts go I havn't needed any yet but when I do I send it over to my spring guy (Jensen& Mitchel) in JC NJ and he knows all the parts places. As far as when they went out? I don't know. What the hell does dial-a-ride mean anyway???

BULLHUSK PS the truck is a 1971

i was talking front load meritor and eaton vs mack top load as far as i know meritor/rockwell hasnt made a top load in a long time. mack is currently pushing there rearends. they have new 300 series carrier i think they call it. full locking is now available. they still make the 100 and 200 series carriers as well