New Vehicle in the Garage: stephen ellis lsfw (1949)

stephenellis

Ouch! Cool truck. It's a shame it is so far gone. I think the chickens have left for better accommodations. I'd love to have the winches and that cab is cool...Is there a story to go along with it? It's a shame she's so far gone. That would be really neat to have.

Thanks guys. It was sold to the CIA in 1949 and used until it was sold at an army sale in the UK in 1967.

It has USAF numbers on it and came with a mobile command unit but that is like Swiss cheese.

Going to restore it as original as possible but I'm sure parts will be hard to find.

Got to dig it out, free off the brakes and drag it home. love a challenge !

Good for you. That will be a tremendous effort but the unique history and nature of the truck will make it all worth while. Please send pictures as you go. I'm sure parts can be found around the USA. Watch craigslist.com Shipping may be a challenge as always. Have fun.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greg, knowing here it comes from is giving me the inspiration to get it home and start work.

Looking at the other two and knowing what mine will look like is fantastic. I didn't know there was such a following of Mack trucks. Thank you all for the words of encouragement, I'm sure it will be worth all the hard work.

• 4 weeks later...