Engine Codes

I own a 2003 CH with a 460 HP I have experienced many computer code flashes and every time I take it into Mack they tell me it was a ground problem or it will not repeat it for them. One dealer in West Virginia said it was the turbo waste gate causing the fault. This seems to only happen when under a hard pull and for us its most of the time. We haul loads grossing out at 220,000 and this is getting really annoying has any else experienced this problem too. Looking for a cure..

I own a 2003 CH with a 460 HP I have experienced many computer code flashes and every time I take it into Mack they tell me it was a ground problem or it will not repeat it for them. One dealer in West Virginia said it was the turbo waste gate causing the fault. This seems to only happen when under a hard pull and for us its most of the time. We haul loads grossing out at 220,000 and this is getting really annoying has any else experienced this problem too. Looking for a cure..

When you get a CE light does the engine derate on power and if so then it may be a over boost code caused by the turbo wastegate not opening at the right time.The wastegate need to be calibrated to start to open at a given pressuyre or you can blow the turbo like so many macks have done in the pass. Some old timers think more boost the better but the ECM knows better and will cut back on the fuel to keep this from happening to take care of its self.The waste gate calibration is very important and cant be guessed at but done with tools of the trade. You need to look at the air hose to the wastegate acticuator and see if some one has uhooked it or pluged it because this is a common truck driver hear over the radio thing and it has been done many times and can blow a turbo. But if mack has told you what it is why not let them repair as needed. glenn

glenn akers

If its a 4-5 code, most of the time its the wastegate on the turbo, we replace alot of them, seems the diaphram blows. We have also seen them not adjusted right and then getting to much boost, it is very important to adjust them by the book, its a pain in the ass to do it that way but its the only way to do it right. When the dealer reads the codes he can go to the fault reporter and it will tell him the exact time and date the last 5 code were active, so try to remember time and date of fault and have them look it up. Alot of the time there are so many codes on a truck we dont know where to start so we clear all codes , let them drive it a week then come back and see what codes have reappeared. If the codes havent been cleared in a long time you could be chaseing problems that are no longer there.